Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Installing package(s) in spring 2015, install question.  (Read 3710 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Installing package(s) in spring 2015, install question.
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:16 pm »
I ordered up 5 packages from one of the local resellers here in Ohio. 
The bees will be #3 packages from Georgia.

I am wondering if I should space out the package installations or is it OK to install all 5 at the same time?  Different days?
Is there a certain distance they should be from each other at installation?  Eventually they will all need to be in the same bee yard.

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Re: Installing package(s) in spring 2015, install question.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »
I suggest, if they need to be in a specific yard, then start them there. I wanted to move mine, but never wanted to interrupt there foraging and building efforts, so they are in the same location. Plus when they do build up, they are heavy. Just my opinion on moving. I got nothing on the distance or timing though.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:15:57 pm »
I would put them 5 feet or more apart. It gives you room to work them and mow between them. Yes, all in one day is fine. If, after one week, one is weak  and one is strong, swap places with those two. The returning foragers will balance the population in each. This can be done more than one time if needed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:19:16 pm »
I was pretty sure they needed to stay in the same yard, I was speaking of feet not hundreds of yards. 
I was wondering about the confusion of 5 new packages and 5 new queens in close proximity. 
I going to use feeders inside the hive.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:34 pm »
Thanks Iddee, Your replied while I was typing.
That is a very helpful tip.  How long in terms of a new hive can you do that?  Weeks?  Months?

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:25:04 am »
I would put them 5 feet or more apart. It gives you room to work them and mow between them. Yes, all in one day is fine. If, after one week, one is weak  and one is strong, swap places with those two. The returning foragers will balance the population in each. This can be done more than one time if needed.

If you observe bees doing their oreintaton flights around their hives, you will notice they dont stray far left and right, about 3 ft in each direction. If you place them 5ft ~ 6ft apart as above.. they are not going to confuse one hive with the other.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:53 am »
That can be used anytime to balance two hives. Doesn't matter if both hives are 5 years old, new, or one of each.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:42 am »
15 years ago I would have done them all at the same time.  The quality of queens has rapidly declined in that time.  Now half of them will abandon their queen and move next door if you install them all at once.  I might still do them all at once, just before dark... so they can settle down before daylight the next day...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 11:44:28 am »
Good replies and wisdom offered.  I am going to use some of it myself. I have always installed packages all at the same time, and my new hives are typically only a few inches apart. I have not had bees abscond from one hive to another, but would guess it is a very possible issue.. my worst problem is the superseding of package queens..   I wanted to test the many arguments MANY have hit me with when it ame to package queens, so I ordered ten packages this spring.. I installed them all on the same day..   So, let me tell you, that after about 5 packages, they start to get REALLY upset..  I did a video on the installation for your enjoyment, and laughter...    about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the page..
   http://outyard.weebly.com/getting-started.html

My wife does NOT typically swear, but she did this day!  

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:30:08 pm »
My hives are different colors (just to help me keep track of the fives and to help lost bees  :lau:). I install my packages then close up the hive until evening the following day. I have not had any problems doing the and my hives are 2 feet apart.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 08:11:39 pm »
15 years ago I would have done them all at the same time.  The quality of queens has rapidly declined in that time.  Now half of them will abandon their queen and move next door if you install them all at once.  I might still do them all at once, just before dark... so they can settle down before daylight the next day...

Is that just bought in  ones or all bees in the U.S. ?
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 09:16:42 am »
>my worst problem is the superseding of package queens..

Actually that is your salvation.

>Is that just bought in  ones or all bees in the U.S. ?

All the packages in recent years have had this issue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 08:10:23 pm »
>my worst problem is the superseding of package queens..

Actually that is your salvation.

LOL  I guess I HAVE been thinking about that all wrong..
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »
<Actually that is your salvation.>

Now that's funny, true and funny.

I was worried about losing some of my not so ripping and roaring hives this winter, then I thought, that may be a good thing. Next year all I'll have left is hives that get on down with the program - and I'll have some drawn out comb to boost them.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »
A lot of really sorry queens being produced these days.  I would still install them all the same day in the same yard several feet apart.  Then I would start switching the locations of the least populous with the most populace until I couldn't tell them apart.  Keep doing that and replace any queens not brooding up.  If they are all near your home that makes it much easier.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 01:44:23 pm »
I have posted this link in a few other posts. I will post it again here. It is quite eye opening. You need local queens. So the solution: Get the packages, install it, let it get established, and then when local queens are available re-queen them. That will likely get you through the winter.

http://mysare.sare.org/mySARE/ProjectReport.aspx?do=viewRept&pn=FNE09-665&y=2009&t=0
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin