Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Super in the freezer  (Read 2644 times)

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Super in the freezer
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »
I put a medium super in the freezer to save for this Winter if my bees need it.  I have three hives.  This super was uncapped but almost cured.  Just didn't get capped.  Will this honey crystallize in the freezer or what should I expect?  If it does crystallize, can the bees still use it?

Mark

Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
Re: Super in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:48:31 pm »
Try typing the word "crystallize" in the search option window (right above log out). It should bring up a few past and recent posts on the subject. Hope this helps.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »
No luck on search.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:39:53 pm »
Well, the honey will crystallize in the freezer, but only if the freezer is OFF  :-D

Freezing honey actually slows down crystallization.  The worst temps are about 60F.

But yes, even if it is crystallized, a hungry hive will use it.  If the hive has plenty of honey and needs more space, often they will clean out and throw out the sugar crystals. 

Rick
Rick

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:53:57 am »
Would a frost free freezer actually remove more moisture? I know you put pollen in the freezer to dry it out.
John 3:16

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:14:44 am »
I kept a deep of drawn comb in the freezer all last winter.  This spring I took it out let it warm up and put it on a hive.  Within a few days the queen was laying in it.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »
use these frames wisely! they are worth their weight in gold indeed! if you get a late swarm there is the first feeding! if you need to feed anywhere it,s perfect!  i love them for early season splits and swarms.
i have 2 supers in the freezer for emergency feed!
you wont be sorry to use them, only when you run out of them!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:29 am »
I freeze frames of honey all the time, every winter to give back to the bees in the Spring. I do though, wrap the frames in plastic before putting into the freezer.  You can probably place the whole medium super into the plastic garbage bag.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:07 pm »
That's what I did.  I put them in a large garbage bag and tied it and tried to be careful not to tear a hole in the plastic before I put it in the freezer.  I do have a late cutout that I have fed 4 gallons of syrup to.  It is too cold now for a few days for them to take any more syrup.  I may try to put these frames in when I can get them.  They are 125 miles away where my hives are.

Mark

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 09:28:00 pm »
The frames I froze earlier this year had some uncapped honey (nectar) in them.  The nectar was watery as usual.  After 2 months I thawed them.  The uncapped nectar had dehydrated significantly; closer to (perhaps was) honey. 

I would think placing the super in a plastic bag (which I did not) would better moderate the moisture until Spring.
Make Mead!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 11:44:35 pm »
Not only will it be good for swarms and splits next spring, but it will make sure there are not any living larvae from wax moths or hive beetles.