Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: warming cabinet  (Read 5216 times)

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
warming cabinet
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »
Does anyone have any plans for a small/medium sized honey warming cabinet ?  One that I could put jars of honey that are starting to crystallize...(or maybe even bears) in and gently warm them back up ?

:)
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: warming cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »
Try looking around your house for an old cabinet that is about the right size and add a couple of 40 watt light bulbs to it. Just make sure the bulbs are not too close to anything that will burn. If you do not have one check your local yard sales. Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »
You can try doing as Bud does. Take an old junk refrigerator and add a thermostatically controlled light bulb. It works really well for him. Maybe he'll chime in...Bud...got your ears on?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
Take an old junk refrigerator and add a thermostatically controlled light bulb. It works really well for him.
Scott

I'm not bud but that's exactly what I did.  I got a full size chest freezer via Craigslist for free.  Installed 3 light bulbs in it, a thermostat, and a 2x4 platform that could hold over 100# of honey as it warmed.  I've use it for over 3 years now with great success.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:09 pm »
If you can track down an old fridge that is big enough to stack 5 gallon buckets in you can use it for settling out the honey after extraction and warming the honey for bottling as well as melting the crystalized honey. Drill a hole in the fridge and attach a small cooling fan over it and you can use the setup to dry any wet honey if needed. 
  If you run out of things to do with it then just pack it with beer and ice and relax. :-D

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »
A furniture cardbox  boxis all I use with a couple light bulbs regulated by a 1500 watt $50 thermostatically controlled power strip designed for reptile cages.  When the cabinent is no longer needed you pitch it or fold it against the wall. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »
I just walk my jars or buckets of honey when they start to turn up the stairs and place them in the hot attic for a bit.   Long as your attic does not get too hot, just keep an eye on it, it should work out fine. 

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:32:06 pm »
Thank you for the good ideas.  I dont have an attic though.  If I made something, I would definately make it big enough to put 5 gallon buckets in but my main thought was when I have a couple cases of pints or even worse plastic bears than have just started to crystallize a bit.

:)
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
I place the bottles in the car and park it in the sun for a day. Works every time her in the south.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »
I place the bottles in the car and park it in the sun for a day. Works every time her in the south.

Steve

Ditto that here. I do all my crush and strain in My RV on the table. I can watch TV and listen to the stero will working. just put down plastic or towels before had so My Better half won't turn into the killer queen Bee. :-*

john

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:17 pm »
I made one out of two deep boxes. put a plywood bottom and top and a light fixture. It  will hold a five gallon bucket or twenty frames. You can also put supers with honey on and heat alittle before you extract. I also lind it with insulation board.