Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poor abused hen  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Poor abused hen
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:04:58 pm »
I have read that roosters stake out their own little territory and will run other roosters out. Mine didn't read the same book I guess. These three guys are like a gang. They hang together. Three big Rhose Island Reds strutting around like they own the place. And when one of them goes for a hen the other two line up and take their turn. Share and share alike I guess.

But I got this one poor hen that seems to be the favorite. Her comb has a big chunk bitten out of it. And a whole bunch of feathers are missing for about two inches behind the comb. The feathers on her back are really ragged. She looks pitiful.   Should I make her her own place for awhile? Put her with some subordinates since the nights are getting cold?

Or just let them be chickens? 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Re: Poor abused hen
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
We've always had that "game" going when we keep multiple roosters. My wife feels so terrible for the "gang raped" hens that we usually end up with chicken stew in a few days  ;). For us, it was always the buff hens (a.k.a. the blondes!). You can quarantine the hen or the roosters, but it takes quit a while for things to start growing back. Our well-loved hens seem to do fine even in the winter for what it's worth...

J-

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:33:16 pm »
Three roosters are a lot.  My friend had her "gang" kill one of her hens once...she got rid of all but 1 rooster & things have settled down.  I have no roosters now & like it that way. J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:32 pm »
My population is

4 Guineas
28 hens
4 roosters

We already ate two roosters and two more are still in the freezer.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:17:46 am »
Jerry feel for ya.  Four roosters is just way too many for that amount of gals.  I haven't had any more than two, so I have no comment about that gang rape stuff, poor hens.  I know, there was a favourite hen Roquefort liked, she always looked rather untidy compared to the others.  When we had Antonio, it seemed that the two roosters were never together picking on a single hen.  Rather, Roquefort always was on Antonio's tale when he caught him with one of his girls.  Was so funny to watch two roosters, one that could obviously run just a little bit faster, hee, hee.  I would try to keep only two of the roosters, Jerry.  Good luck, you're gonna get some interesting and good responses to your post.  Have a most wonderful and awesome great day and life, great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:25 pm »
Im with poka-bee.  I decided a few years ago to not have roosters and this are alot nicer.  I do miss there antics but up here in Michigan the hens dont do well in winter without feathers on there backs.  One more thing if you do decide to downsize the rooster population dont wait.  Eat them while there young. They get tougher by the day

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »
With out rooster you can not raise chicks

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:10:16 am »
I don't want chicks cause 1/2 are roosters..Nobody in our house likes dark meat so it would be a waste of lives & $$.  I'll just buy pullets.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:15:16 pm »
I don't want chicks cause 1/2 are roosters..Nobody in our house likes dark meat so it would be a waste of lives & $$.  I'll just buy pullets.  J

They'll eat dark meat when they get hungry.  Really hungry people eat moldy brean (Penicilin) and many other things we here in the USA reject because we have so much to chose from.  A French Queen, when told the masses didn't have bread, said, "Let them eat cake." 
I've eaten a lot of different things from around the world, most in it's country of origin, and I'm of the opinion picky people should eat some of everything on the table UNLESS they are allergic to that food item.  Of course some food allergies make it so some people don't dare eat in a restuarant.  It's a challenge for me because I'm allergic to any product containing or made from cows milk or apples.  Reduces my available food selection by about 50 of prepared foods which is why I'm into growing so much of it myself. 
When your choices are limited or few and far between you eat what you can when you can.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
I agree, too many boys...1 is plenty for my girls...the other 3 are hanging in seperate housing with our turkey...less problems. I have 2 rocks which are coming of age...going to trade them for hens from a friend.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:31:27 pm »
I wonder what makes some roosters so aggressive to the girls.  My Columbian Rock rooster, Roquefort, is such a gentleman.  He has his way with any of his girls that he chooses, they don't mind one little bit.  He is definitely gentle with them, assertive, yes, makes his wishes known, but never has he taken out any feathers on his girls.  When Brian's cockerals mature, Roquefort is going to live with my Cousin, she has hens, but no rooster and said that she would gladly take him.  I am changing the genetics in my chickenyards and Roquefort must go to another home.

I have 13 roosters that are almost 4 months old now.  They are heading off for a visit to some people that love roosters, they are taking all thirteen.  These dudes are getting of the mating age.  I caught one yesterday trying to have his way with a Banty hen.  I stopped that when I saw it.  These 13 dudes are going into a separate pen until the Asian folk take them, which should be in a few days.  I don't want the Bantys damaged.  That big white rooster that went with the ducks the other day to the boneyard, was so mean that he was making wounds on the Banty's heads.  He didn't stay long in the chickenyard, once I saw that damage.  Also, these are big roosters, why the heck pick on such a tiny thing like a Banty, I don't figure that one.  Guess the big girls just won't have any part of them.  I always saw the big red hens always chase that white rooster when he thought he would have his way with them.  They were pretty aggressive to him and sent him off with tail feathers flying.

I love having roosters around, I see how they take good care of all the birds, ducks, turkeys, they are the alerters and I have seen many times when the rooster calls, everyone heads for the safety.  I rarely see the rooster eat, he is always keeping watch on things, too busy to graze, as do the other barnyard critters.  I don't think I would ever be without one or two roosters here, ever.  And....listening to their calls, especially the call that brings on the daylight, sounds, I live by sounds..... Beautiful day, great life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service