Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cinnamon DOES NOT WORK on ants.  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Cinnamon DOES NOT WORK on ants.
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:17:21 am »
Like everyone else that keeps bees and feeds them, you have ants in, on, and around your hives.
I had tried Cinnamon in the house before when I saw ants. I have made a circle around the ants and they walk right thru it.
My hives are on tables so I don't have to bend over, I put Black Flag ant traps on the table tops, may have helped a little.
This morning, just to try again, I covered the table top with a dusting of cinnamon, big ants, small ants walking all thru it like it was never there.
Just went and cheddar again which is 5 hrs later, does not seem to have deterred them at all.

Just curious........can any of you say you have had success with Cinnamon?
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: Cinnamon DOES NOT WORK on ants.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:25 am »
go get some powdered borax
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:47:40 am »
Maybe it depends on the type of ants you have ?  Cinnamon works fine on ants here, but the sort we have are right at the bottom of the ant problem league-table.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:05:10 am »
Nope. It doesn't work in my experience either. It makes them take a step back for a second but then walk right through it. They don't like grease though so when I see ants attacking my hives, I mix about 1/2 cup of olive or vegetable oil, but a couple of tblsp of cinammon in it and brush it with my BBQ brush, all around the bottom of the hive and stand. I put it on heavy by the entrance and up the sides and that seems to deter them long enough before the oil dries away a few hours later. I also stomp and sgwoosh as many as possible which seems to release an alarm pheromone and they start to flee. I. An only imagine the ants you must have there captain. I've only recently come across the borax suggestion like jack said. I'll have to try that.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:14 am »
I have serious ant problems here.
I have used cinnamon before. Some of the ants here act like there feet are one fire and run and some do not even know it is there.
I have upside down cups at the top of the posts that hold up my bee stands. One has all of the cups greased inside and the other doesn't. Both seem to help a lot.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »
I have nice artificial grass, so I can't fill containers with oil and put the legs in them because when it rains it will make a mess and stain.
I mainly have tiny ants, probably sugar ants, they are the smallest ants I ever saw, I see just a few medium sized black ants a few big ants that seem to be black with red Thorax.

What I did before was put a 3" band of Vaseline on the legs of the table, I think that helped, I will put Vaseline again and see if it slows them down.
It's funny to watch the bigger ants go in the entrance............and how fast they run out
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:29:45 pm »
Never found cinnamon to work on the ants here. When they get to be a problem I put boric acid traps on the inner cover and it seems to slow thaem down.
Neill

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:47 am »
Do be aware that Boric Acid is a non-specific insecticide, and so will kill honey bees if they're able to come into contact with it.
LJ

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:16:12 pm »
The traps I use are designed with an entrance too small for a bee but enough for an ant. She has to crawl up a ramp after entering to get to the bait which is sugar syrup with boric acid.
Neill

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:23 pm »
I have nice artificial grass, .....

A-ha! I wondered how you had such a beautiful yard in your photo with the flip flops and racket! LOL!!! :cheesy:

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:46:26 pm »
I have nice artificial grass, .....

A-ha! I wondered how you had such a beautiful yard in your photo with the flip flops and racket! LOL!!! :cheesy:

I worked hard here to have a beautiful lush green lawn, it is hard with the weeds and insects. I had it looking great and then ended up buying a different brand of chicken manure, must have been loaded with weed seed, after applying that one, I lost everything we established........total field of weeds again.........that is when I surrendered.
Artificial is not the panacea, OK, no cutting, watering, fertilizing, weeding.......but now I have another 280 sq meters of carpet to clean from leaves, flower petals, dead bees and any other debris that falls on it.
Tried a gas powered blower but not really the right tool. I have my maid vacuum it with shop vac

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 04:28:04 am »
The traps I use are designed with an entrance too small for a bee but enough for an ant. She has to crawl up a ramp after entering to get to the bait which is sugar syrup with boric acid.

Interesting.  For anyone else who's keen to try ant traps rather than just sprinkling cinnamon around the feeders, there are some bait recipes on: https://www.pestwiki.com/diy-homemade-ant-traps/ - I particularly like the idea of using baking soda ! - but they don't go into any details of how to make the traps themselves ...
LJ

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:32 pm »
What a funny article, LJ! lol ..."If you find that the ants are eating the bait but are only getting fatter, increase the amount of boric acid in the mixture." Hahaha I am so gonna try the powdered sugar and baking soda one! Lol!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 03:47:32 am »
I may have found something that works.
It is a chalk stick.
The box I have is in Thai but I Googled " ant repellent chalk stick"
 and then click images, you will see what I am talking about.
It appears to maybe have some Oil it because when I rubbed it on the first 6 inches of my table legs, it stays on well and doesn't just make a dry chalky powder.
I put in on 4 days ago now and I do not see even one ant.

Stay tuned

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 11:09:36 am »
Bruce,
Bee careful with that chalk. It is very toxic and most of them look just like the chalk kids play with. I do not know if you have children or have family that visit but they end up in the hands of unsuspecting kids that get very sick. It is illegal here in the states.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Asia-Off-Grid

• New Bee
  • Our 2 hectare farm.
    • Living in Cambodia
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
Johnson's baby powder gets rid of them nicely. During our dry seasons, which last about six months, it's perfect. Naturally, when rainy season comes around, it needs to be replaced often.
Paul

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:19:10 am »
Bruce,
Bee careful with that chalk. It is very toxic and most of them look just like the chalk kids play with. I do not know if you have children or have family that visit but they end up in the hands of unsuspecting kids that get very sick. It is illegal here in the states.
Jim

Just the wife and I.
It is only on the bottom of legs, still no ants.

Offline Mech

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:01:10 am »
Bruce I did the oil/ grease moat thing and it is messy.
It is also bad for the eniorment.
I also greased the legs of my table and that worked best
They haven't been back in a couple years but when they do I am thinking of a sweet borax or glycol modified trap system so bees or good critters can't be harmed that can easily be taken out of the rain.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:42:46 am »
... joining in as I actually have a colony of small sugar ants living on top of a hive I am
nuturing as a rescue - when ready the owner gets it back.
I'll keep the ants, they do no harm and are fun to watch whilst beewatching.

Bait "how to" that works?

1 X 250ml plastic softdrink bottle
400mm of 10ga fencing wire.
Method.
On the horizontal plane make a small hole at each end of the bottle case.
Thread fencing wire through holes and bend at 90' at exits.
Drill a 4mm hole in the screw-on lid.
Mix up maybe 60ml of honey and borax to fill bottle.
Use the wire to suspend the bottle horizontally off a tree branch.
Likewise for under a hive stand.

For those larger (ant) critters that also have a taste for insects?
5ml of tick&flea treatment[1]
1 X small hamburger patty
Method.
Mix liquid into the meat. Wear kitchen disposable gloves.
Place bait in similar trap as above or wrap in fine birdmesh.
Trap can be hung near a pathway or stapled/nailed to the path.

Cheers.

Bill

--
http://www.frontlineplus.com.au/Products/Pages/products.aspx?gclid=CKz3hdP1gtUCFZcjvQodYXIHGA

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »
No luck with cinnamon either
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything