Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth larvae damage  (Read 2815 times)

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Wax moth larvae damage
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:55:05 pm »
Hey sorry I have been gone for so long but been real busy around here and I had gotten several new hives and been leaving them alone to work for a while and checked on them periodiclly but today I checked on them after a month and 2 of my hives are gone like a gost house abandoned but the one that is left now is strong as heck and were angry out of this world  :roll:  as soon as I opened the hives to check on them but I did not see any damage to the frames for a quickness but the others had Wax moth larvae damage and I destroyed the guess youd say the worms there was no moths around but the worm like creatures moving around in them ande a web like substance all overso what do I do with this problem the last hive looks healthy and by the dozen stings through my suit and glves I would trust to say they are very healthy. ?

Offline stilllearning

• House Bee
Wax moth larvae damage
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 12:24:42 am »
You are describing typical wax moth activity in a weak hive.
They will move in and destroy a weak hive.
Sometimes they can get so bad, the bees will move out,
If the bees should join in with your stronger colony
 that could
result in you stronger hive getting stronger, if you have lost a queen in the weaker hives that is what the bees will do if they have no egg or larva to work with.
The High Temps and no rain in Texas have stopped most all honey
flows and that too will hurt a weak hive.  Thankfully the cotton is blooming and some of the irrigation will give a honey flow now.
If you have any useable combs left in the empty hives, you should store them with paradiclorobenzene that will kill any moths present
you can also freeze them
Wayne Cole

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Wax moth larvae damage
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:33:13 am »
If you have wax moths they hives are not healthy.  Find the root cause, often too much hive for the number of bees, and spray the wax moths with Certan.  It won't hurt the honey, the bees or you.

http://www.beeworks.com/usacatalog/subcat33.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin