Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting ready for first hive in spring  (Read 7044 times)

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
Getting ready for first hive in spring
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:14:36 pm »
I have decided to start collecting hive parts and tools for spring I have decided to use Medium Supers for the bodies of the hive. ( 2 medium = 1 deep) I have a lifting limit so 8 frame mediums should work fine. As for foundation, I will either let them build their own or us small cell foundation. The bottom board is an issue for I have been told that screen bottom boards invites attacks from say skunks and other bee loving creatures. And it disrupts the bee ventilation system. Such as causing brood chill in spring and summer. The cover I am thinking of using a telescoping top and inner cover or a flat migration top.

I am looking for advice at this time and a mentor if anyone is in the Marietta / Atlanta Ga are.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Getting ready for first hive in spring
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:25:15 am »
Brood chill in Atlanta?  I use SBB on all my hives and I use to leave them wide open and never got brood chill.  However the bees will propolize the heck out of the bottom frames and essentially not use the bottom box for brood rearing.  It is natural for the bees to use it for pollen storage anyway.
The only negative I can think of in your area is small hive beetle and wax moth that will thrive in the debris that gets caught in the tray.  I use all mediums and wax foundation.
I believe there is a lot that can be determined without intervention if you can view what is falling out of the hive.  You will have to make a choice among many other choices what you do as a beekeeper.
Did you order bees?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:32 am »
actually, 1.5 mediums = 1 deep, 3 med is 2 deep, &c.

It's colder in winter where I am, so I winter with a 3 mediums.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:12:19 am »
   In the winter we sometimes get to the low teens to rare single digits. Average is near freezing give or take 5 degrees. I am still undecided about a bottom board. I don't know if a screen would be safe for even in the burbs we have animals that might go in through the screen. 
   As for bees they have not been ordered for the places near me that sell bees don't have the prices yet for the spring. I will be getting them locally. I don't want the disaster I heard a beekeeper had this pass spring. His bees were all dead when the Post office called to say they arrived.
   Foundation I am thinking small cell or let them build their own.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:03:46 am »
we have animals that might go in through the screen. 

They would be small animals to get through a 1/8 square.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:23 am »
I have started using screen on top and bottom of my hive bottoms.  I have a slot on the rear so I can insert an oil pan to catch shb or mites.  In the winter I can insert a political sign cut to fit or use insulated building foam board that is aluminium  coated for easy cleaning and economical.  The oil pan can be used year round. I live in NE Texas with weather similar to Dallas.  I am going to use green house shade material for the bottom board to make dsbb   beetle proof. 

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 01:52:53 pm »
I thought the screen area was about the same as the hive body which is larger then 1/8.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »
I thought the screen area was about the same as the hive body which is larger then 1/8.

The area of the screen is about the same size as the interior of the box but the screen mesh is 1/8 squares.  The original purpose of a SBB was to let mites fall through and not let the bees get in that area where the mite could jump back on the bee.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:24:41 pm »
As for foundation, I will either let them build their own or us small cell foundation. 
I would start with foundation and add foundationless as you go along.  It's easier to start out slow.
The bottom board is an issue for I have been told that screen bottom boards invites attacks from say skunks and other bee loving creatures. And it disrupts the bee ventilation system. Such as causing brood chill in spring and summer.
I have some with and some without screen bottoms.  I like being able to put a pan with oil to kill SHB's.  I've never heard of any creature getting through the screen to get the bees.  As far as the ventilation, I leave the pans on all year so there is no problem. 
I am looking for advice at this time and a mentor if anyone is in the Marietta / Atlanta Ga are.
As many would say on this forum, this forum does make a good mentor if you can't find one near you.(that's what we are here for)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 09:30:02 am »
>( 2 medium = 1 deep)

3 ten frame mediums = 2 ten frame deeps
4 eight frame mediums = 2 ten frame deeps
so
2 eight frame mediums - 1 ten frame deep
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 06:34:07 pm »
As I have been reading  about bees I have found they are varieties of bees. It seems that Italian bees are the most common. Is there a variety of bee that would be best for a just starting beekeeper?

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 07:12:03 pm »
As I have been reading  about bees I have found they are varieties of bees. It seems that Italian bees are the most common. Is there a variety of bee that would be best for a just starting beekeeper?

Buy a Nuc that comes from an over wintered hive with a mutt/locally mated queen. I started with packages and Nucs are much better. I don't really like the idea of packages in general. Local Beeks can point you in the right direction for Nucs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:35 am »
> It seems that Italian bees are the most common. Is there a variety of bee that would be best for a just starting beekeeper?

All the bees in North America are mutts.  They all will do fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 04:33:23 pm »
I feel very Mentored here. One yahoo group I was on I felt like it was ran by a dictator instead of a mentor.

Offline feenix3k

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:00 am »
Does anyone use a slatted rack? From what  I Read it stops traffic jams in a hive with bees coming and going. I think it maybe good or it's a gimmick item just to get you to spend more money.  I am just trying to find out if it is useful or not needed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 09:30:15 am »
Feenix,
I was at the Central NJ Beekeepers meeting last night and the slatted rack subject came up.
A member tried it on all of her hives and just about eliminated bearding and also moved the brood comb lower in the hive.
I sounds like something I want to try. She said that they cost $10. Not worth building at that price.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:55 am »
Feenix,

You might check out the Beekeepers Corner Podcast. Lots of valuable information on there.  The producer of the podcast covers just about everything you can imagine beekeeping.  You have to keep in mind that he is in New Jersey, but the principles are the same, just adjust for your locale. I have learned so much this first year from books, YouTube, and that podcast. There's enough info out there to immerse yourself in for months. You just have to collect all the information, and figure out what works for you. I have found that the forums are a great place to get some quick answers and advice, but for most questions, you will get many answers, some conflicting.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »
Michael Bush writes about the Lazy Beekeeper.  Well I put the lazy beekeeper to shame.  What difference does it make if the hive uses more of the bottom comb in the winter or cooler months?  This is when you have a whole bunch of comb to store anyway.  I say forget adding another piece of equipment to the hive just keep another box on that you would only have to store anyway.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
Michael Bush writes about the Lazy Beekeeper.  Well I put the lazy beekeeper to shame.  What difference does it make if the hive uses more of the bottom comb in the winter or cooler months?  This is when you have a whole bunch of comb to store anyway.  I say forget adding another piece of equipment to the hive just keep another box on that you would only have to store anyway.

In my first year I am thinking the "Lazy" way may be best at times. Just so I am clear about your post, the bees move up in the winter, and in the spring you just leave the empty on the bottom, or rearrange?  Or are you talking about empty honey supers?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 02:59:46 pm »
I feel very Mentored here. One yahoo group I was on I felt like it was ran by a dictator instead of a mentor.

Feenix3k. hey I'm johndown here in middle ga. Gray, Ga. the ga. beekeepers assc. is up there near mcdonna. I'm going to be doing alot of splits this spring. get with me in feb or march. I'll give you a nuc if you want to spend a saturday giving me a hand. I have to yards. but have not been able to work them because a injury. If I can get them thru winter this year ( which is looking good because of the fall flow sofar) You can have the nuc two deep tall. I have all wild hives so thier a little more definsive, I dont use screen bottoms. and they do find. I dont treat or feed sugar water.

john

four seven eight 718-six four 09

anything