Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Holy Holy Cow Cow - 6th Swarm.  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
Holy Holy Cow Cow - 6th Swarm.
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »
Okay, this is getting silly.  :-x

I have a sixth swarm in by backyard now, this one's a big one.  Can't reach it, too high, which is fine, I'm out of gear and can't afford any more this month.  I'm building a kenyan top bar hive from scrap wood right now, but it won't be ready till sometime next week as life allows me to keep working on it.  Just looking at a photo of one I think they might be the best swarm traps ever . . . .

Going to the local beekeeper's assoc. meeting this month.  I needs me a mentor.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Holy Holy Cow Cow - 6th Swarm.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:38:27 pm »
Good grief!! Wish I lived nextdoor :D
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:24 pm »
Truly - another swarm (reachable) before the top bar is done, or before I break down and decide I want to keep more than 7 hives and I'll have to call a local beek for swarm removal!!! LOL. :-D

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:08:35 pm »
That would get you a friend and a mentor, for sure.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »
So just how many hives did you have before all the swarms?

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:41:19 am »
Overwintered five.  One died of an early and fake spring burst.  Have caught 4 of the 6 swarms, two absconded and two were too high to consider, but I also have a split that I did THE DAY BEFORE THIS ALL STARTED (Have I mentioned this has all been within the last two weeks?).

So Total of seven viable hives right now, 4 good and strong, two fairly strong, and one little wimpy hive that I might just need to shuffle with a larger hive to give 'em a boost.  I plan on adding a single Kenyan Top Bar Hive to my collection, but other than that, I'm done.  Oh yeah, and an observation hive, which I have build, just not populated.  Then I'm definitely done.  I think . . . . :-\

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:24:59 am »
One died of an early and fake spring burst.
Can you explain this in more detail, like exactly how this happens? Chilled brood? It just sounds like a possible explanation for my failing hive that thrived through winter, just to hugely drop in numbers after a bitter cold snap mid-March. Thanks!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:06 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:37:59 am »
Overwintered five.  One died of an early and fake spring burst.  Have caught 4 of the 6 swarms, two absconded and two were too high to consider, but I also have a split that I did THE DAY BEFORE THIS ALL STARTED (Have I mentioned this has all been within the last two weeks?).

So Total of seven viable hives right now, 4 good and strong, two fairly strong, and one little wimpy hive that I might just need to shuffle with a larger hive to give 'em a boost.  I plan on adding a single Kenyan Top Bar Hive to my collection, but other than that, I'm done.  Oh yeah, and an observation hive, which I have built, just not populated.  Then I'm definitely done.  I think . . . . :-\

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »
I might need to set out some bait boxes in Rome the next time I cut through there.

anything