Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild Pigs?  (Read 4491 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Wild Pigs?
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:51:21 am »
I have really enjoyed reading of your deer hunting topic. Which brings a question to you hunters. My question concerns wild hogs. I hear that they carry several different types of parasites as well as diseases. As a boy we would cure our own farm raised Hams and bacon. Mum! My question, do you, or can you sugar cure wild hog meat safely? Will the diseases still be present in the cured meat or is the meat ok after the curing process. I feel certain that back in the day, the old timers surely did the same with their free ranging hogs?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Wild Pigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:55:12 am »
Trichinosis is the worse thing I know that could be gotten from wild pig meat. Proper curing and/or cooking will prevent that. My assumption is the meat would be fine. My experience is, I never got sick from it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:47:58 am »
We have a serious wild hog problem here in Georgia. We stopped doing it less than a year ago but we used to make a little side money by trapping them and taking dogs to south Georgia helping out the farmers. I hear people all the time say how your not supposed to eat wild hogs or you have to do this, have to do that........we've eaten more feral pork than I care to count and I'm just fine. So is everyone else that I've given a freezer full to. My opinion is it's like any other meat, wild or domestic, take care in the handling of it and you'll be just fine. I've quartered some up in a south Georgia swamp at 100+ degrees with the humidity high enough to water the garden and even those turned out fine. I'm pretty quick about it though   :wink:
Take a kid fishing !

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
I have eaten many wild hogs, never had a issues never had a taint issues.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:26:18 pm »
I hope wild hogs never make it my way.  Feral animals destructive to nature, I don't like it one bit. 
Bald Eagles and bobcat are in my area, nice those predators are doing well.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:48:04 pm »
I imagine wild hogs are like bear.  How they taste depends on what they've been eating.  Both hogs and bear eat basically the same things... everything.  When they've been eating carrion the meat doesn't taste very good.  When they been eating "mast" (acorns, wild plants etc.) they are known to taste pretty good.  Everything wild has a little bit of "wild" to the taste I suppose.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:41:30 pm »
 Trichinosis is generally found in garbage fed hogs. It was a common practice a hundred years ago but is rarely done now. To me, a feral hog is essentially a free range hog without an owner.
 I've eaten many. The really big ones are generally older and make poor choice for hams, chops etc, but can make really good sausage especially if mixed with ground venison. The smaller ones, under 150 lbs are delicious tender meat but the the chops are really tiny. Some years, with a good acorn mast they will get really fat and tender.
 I avoid eating boars over 120 lbs or so as boar meat has an offensive taste and smell to me. Many folks make really hot and spicy sausage with them and I've heard its quite good.
 Some local hunters started releasing hogs on federal land here about 20 years ago or so and they have become a serious problem now. I'd like to see them all gone.  :smile:
Neill

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:15:02 pm »
The hogs or the federal lands?  Ideally, I'd like to see a lot of the federal lands gone, along with the hogs.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
The hogs or the federal lands?  Ideally, I'd like to see a lot of the federal lands gone, along with the hogs.

Well, in our case, the U.S. owns about 2/3s of the property in this county. If the hogs would be considerate and stay on forest and park land- no worries- but they go where they will and can tear up just about anything.
Neill

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 05:01:17 am »
my whole life i been told always cook pork well done, when i learned to home brew beer a bit of wisdom i was given early on was that  no human pathogen can survive past 180 deg F hence any meat cooked well done should be safe, wild game cook it over 180 deg no more problem, there are ways to do this without drying it out or making it tough but i assume most people can find out how to do that themselves if they care enough
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:27 am »
no human pathogen can survive past 180 deg F

Except prions.

Offline Brigantin

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 03:45:19 pm »
My father lives in the village and boars regularly attack the villagers. He constantly turns to dayton.aaacwildliferemoval.com and today wild hogs are less and less visiting the village. One day my father managed to kill a wild boar. He fed this meat to the dogs and they got sick and die. After that, I am even more fear to try the meat of wild animals. I have heard that this meat is a delicacy for some people. A special treatment is needed that destroys all parasites, but I cannot be completely sure that this meat is safe.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:20:02 pm by Brigantin »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 04:50:03 pm »
Botulism can withstand over 200 degrees F. for over an hour, maybe more.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 12:49:22 am »
My father lives in the village and boars regularly attack the villagers.  One day my father managed to kill a wild boar. He fed this meat to the dogs and they got sick and die. After that, I am even more fear to try the meat of wild animals.

Botulism can withstand over 200 degrees F. for over an hour, maybe more.

Brigantin, you location shows Ashburn. What country are you located.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.