Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question: Sunday and working with honeybees?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Question: Sunday and working with honeybees?
« on: January 25, 2020, 07:34:12 pm »
 My question: Regarding working with honeybees on Sunday.

Just a personal quirk I have, that I do not work with my honey bees on Sunday unless there is honeybee emergency, so I don?t work on Sunday.  Is working, actually playing with honeybees work?  It does not bother me in the least if someone works on Sunday.  I worked on Sunday much of my life, so I am NOT casting stones seeing that I live in a glass house.  I would particularly be interested in the opinion/knowledge of Father Michael, but all opinions appreciated.  My apiary consist of 20 hives or less and I am strictly a hobbyist.

Mr. Jim, feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: Question: Sunday and working with honeybees?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:49:38 pm »
My question: Regarding working with honeybees on Sunday.

Just a personal quirk I have, that I do not work with my honey bees on Sunday unless there is honeybee emergency, so I don?t work on Sunday.  Is working, actually playing with honeybees work?  It does not bother me in the least if someone works on Sunday.  I worked on Sunday much of my life, so I am NOT casting stones seeing that I live in a glass house.  I would particularly be interested in the opinion/knowledge of Father Michael, but all opinions appreciated.  My apiary consist of 20 hives or less and I am strictly a hobbyist.

Mr. Jim, feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Van

Of course, Sunday is the only day I work.  ;-)

But otherwise, I would advise people not to work on Sunday.  It is not technically the Old Testament Sabbath and we are not under that part of the law any more.  But the principle holds -- we need time to rest and thank God for our blessings.  Sunday is the day Jesus arose in victory over sin and death -- that is why we take that day as special.

This occurred to me one day, actually, after church.  I was sitting there, watching my bees and saw that this is the difference between man, made in God's image and likeness, a spiritual being, and the animals, following animal instinct -- they always work, are always afraid, always procreating -- they never stop to do anything else but physically survive.

But if someone has a job that stresses them out through the week, and bees are fun and relaxing -- that's not really work, right?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:36:25 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 08:03:11 pm »
Mr Van, if Jim were to move it, I do not know where he would move it to?  I do not think there is a heading set aside solely for religious thoughts?  I appreciate your question as well as our brother Michaels answer.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:34 pm »
Do you feed your dog on Sunday.
Harvesting honey on Sunday may be considered work, as it is done for gain. All other bee activity is caring for your charges.
FatherMichael, what does it say about the neighbor's ox in the ditch?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:14:54 pm »
Two purposes for Sunday...
1. A day of holiness. We gather to worship God. We disciple each other to be like Jesus. We work on becoming right with God.
2. A day of rest. Six days of work and then God knows we need to rest body and mind.
So if I can rest and relax with bees, that's good, as long as we don't let that interfere with our pursuit of holiness on the day, or work the bees so much we end up tiring ourselves out, and enter the next week worn down.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:06:58 am »
Guys,
If it's work and your religion says don't work on the sabbath then do so.
If it's a pleasure, then work it. 
Simple.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 08:29:39 am »
Well said everyone.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 08:57:29 am »
This may be a little weird but I consider work to be pleasurable.  It must be the gratification of something accomplished.  Is it more pleasing to God that I sweat on Sunday vs going to a bar and chase women?  I think so.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 02:34:02 pm »
Father Michael tends to his flock on Sunday.
How can tending to another of God's creatures ever be wrong on any day?
Tom

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »
I appreciate all answers!!  Very nice, thank you.

Ace is you come to my house, I can offer you opportunity for gratification and accomplish, like all summer long.  You can start with my front yard, then side yard then...
Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 07:54:27 pm »
Great comments, everyone!

Love it!

Natural theology is the basis for all true and good belief systems.

It doesn't surprise me at all that beekeepers are such sound thinkers.

Yes, iddee, Jesus made emergency ox in the ditch situations an exception to the rule.  He said that the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath.

And I especially appreciate Bob's call to holiness.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:56 am »
When I am doing an inspection on a hive, I feel a sense of peace and simplicity. I reflect on the wonder of our God. Creation points us to Him. Pulling and processing honey is work, for me. An inspection can be a time of worship of our Creator.

Enjoy what God has blessed you with every day, including Sunday. But don't let working your hives, or any other hobby, prevent you from joining your church family on Sunday. Don't substitute worship with your hives, for worship with the Church. Don't use the excuse that "Sunday is the only day I can go in my hives" to not go to church.

By the way, if you are a Sunday School teacher or preacher, there are so many lessons we can share from the way God designed bees. Be sure to use those illustrations in your teaching.       

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 12:25:32 pm »
Well, I am always the oddball. 

Sorry folks, am a man o' Science, much to my fathers despair.  I am a DoD employee (working on 26 years) who has not had a raise in decades (called topped out).  As I approach those retirement years it has become plain to me that I will not be able to just "retire".  I simple do not have access to the kind of funds such a path would require.  So I have been setting up outside business for 2 years now.  I build Cutting boards, countertops, jewelry boxes...you name it if it is fine woodwork, I can make it.  The Bees are another facet to that future plan.  Will it get me rich?  No.  Will it provide that oh so nice "fun" money when I no longer have my main career job?  That is the plan.

The downside to my plans is that there is no day of rest.  Not if I want this to succeed.  There are simply days and times when I go to my office job, and the rest where I sleep, eat, and work my 2 side businesses.  Once and a while the wife and I declare a fun day and just mess around...but it is not common.

So the sort answer is I work when I can, what day it is, is immaterial.

just my reality!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »
I grew up in a family that went to church every time the door was open.  Sunday was usually the day that we ended up scrambling to get everyone out the door on time, and someone was usually in tears by the time we made it.  It was not restful, and I personally did not feel worshipful by the time we got there.
I gave up on the whole thing some time after I asked if Jesus died to save aliens too...and the Sunday school teacher got a lemon sucking expression and told me there were no aliens.  God only created man.  :wink:

I now have a small farm and there are no days off.  That said, I did not lose my faith.  I just found that my rest and worship is accomplished just as well sitting under an apple tree or climbing the mountain, as it ever was in church.  + I don't have to put on a dress, polish my Mary Janes, or shake hands with people I don't know   :cheesy:

I call bees my outside aquarium.  They are something that brings peace...unless I forget to pull my socks over my jeans and they end up....you know....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 04:01:06 pm »
Wonderful God conversation here, but a forum is not a very good vehicle for real discussion on the topic. Maybe we can have further sharing if any of you are going to Jim's BeeFest 2020. I will see you there. Otherwise, my email is in my profile. I would love to carry on the conversation in a different venue.
By the way, I am really looking forward to the BeeFest 2020.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 08:52:20 pm »
Hey Anytime I watch or go into bee's it's spiritual.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 04:32:57 pm »
I would like to add a thought or two on this spiritual topic of vans. We can single out and debate the beliefs and details on a single certain issue about The Word. We should remember that we battle not against flesh and bone but spirits and principalities.
For we who believe in God The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; The Virgin birth of Christ. That he lived a sinless life, Died on a Cross as a living sacrifice for OUR sin debt. That only a pure Lamb of God could pay, yes our Jesus, the sacrifice which can wash away our sins though we are scarlet, he can wash us white as snow. He was buried and He rose on the third day, and ascended back to The Father. Where he sits on the right hand of GOD and the same Jesus went to prepair a place for us and WILL come back to gather us unto himself that where he is we may be also. And remember, The Lord told his disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!  Jesus also said; If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
Let us not be so wrapped up in details but remember we are in a spiritual war on this earth. We are in this war together , we are not alone. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Be of good cheer! The same power that rose Jesus from the grave lives in us!  Jeremy Camp was was on a mission trip and could feel the breath of satin and was surrounded by evil, from that he wrote the following song. 
For each of you who are believers who has posted on this topic, and other believers who may not have posted but may come under attack from our enemy the devil, I hope to encourage you. I realize this may be perceived as junk mail by some. If you are one of these in that group, that do not believe or may be offended by spiritual thoughts, I ask that you do not complain but simply ignore if that is your wish and it is your right! For the ones who believe, this is for you!!
Blessings,
Phillip

https://youtu.be/InsifiZxVXU       
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:35:43 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 08:26:42 pm »
God knew, and the people that received the commandment knew, that if they did not work a day they would not make as much.

They also knew, God and his people, that if they gave away 10% to the priests it would mean 10% less for them!

But that proved their faith in God, that he would take care of them despite their sacrifices of personal time and income.

Incidentally, a person can work better when he or she has rest.

A pastor's life can be insane, for instance.  I found that if I took time to pray it actually went better than if I did not.  I'm talking just time in the day.  I worked more efficiently when I prayed than not.

When I am building hive parts or working the hive I find the same principle applies.  The Lord seems to guide my work when I have prayed about it.

I pray for my bees -- they are God's creatures.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 08:02:04 pm »
They are! (Bees)
No if ands  or but about it.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 08:08:39 pm »
All of God's creations are amazing, Bee's no exception.

anything