BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

JP And Schawee Remove Four Hives For The Louisiana Dept Of Agriculture

(1/4) > >>

JP:
In March of this year (2012) I looked at a building the Louisiana Department Of Agriculture and Forestry had used before hurricane Katrina hit. On that visit it was clear the building was in very bad shape and that it had at least two honey bee colonies living in its walls. I suspected a weak third colony present but boy was I in for a surprise when Schawee and I were called in to do the job on July 19, 2012.

On that day we discovered four booming colonies!

Our plan was to show up and remove two to three hives but every colony had a ton of bees. We were only able to remove two and expose a third that Thursday.

The next day we were greeted with torrential downpours and there was no way I could go back that day to finish the job. Schawee was out of commission for the returning trip which was on Saturday, the 21st.

I went solo that day and was greeted to severe rainy weather this day as well but I persevered and got the job done albeit I worked until 10:20 that night.

It was a long wet day that began with me getting my truck stuck in the muck but another crew on site was nice enough to pull me out.

The whole time I was there in the back of my mind I was hoping that I would be able to get my truck out at the end of this long day.

Alone in the pitch dark and an hour from home was what awaited me if I got stuck again.

It all worked out, thank God!

Here is part one and two. I hope you enjoy the videos!

...JP

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part One

JP And Schawee Remove Bees For The Department Of Agriculture Part Two

ShaneJ:
Nice one mate. The ladies are going to love the second part ;)

:-P

TwoHoneys:
Oh my gosh, JP, you looked worn out by the end of this one. Ugh. What a long slog.

And I'm glad to see schawee running down the street. It's nice to know you two are not always superhuman.

-Liz

gov1623:
Man that looked like a lot of work. If you ever get in a bind and need some help im not too far away. Looks like fun.

D Coates:
Great stuff!  Thanks for posting.  With that many hives located next to each other and that much cut out disruption are SHB's an issue?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version