Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A quote from one of Michael Bushes pages...BELIEVE IT !!!!!  (Read 2666 times)

Offline denart

• New Bee
A quote from one of Michael Bushes pages...BELIEVE IT !!!!!
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:38:34 pm »
"DO NOT TRY TO PUT THIS BOX ON THE HIVE IN THE DARK! If you have never opened a hive in the dark, consider yourself wise or fortunate and don't. The bees are VERY defensive after dark and will attack and cling and crawl on you looking for a way to sting."

I wish I had read this a few days ago...but then again, it might not have registered....  It Is Now...and will never be forgotten.
Dennis
[/i]
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:46:31 pm »
:shock:
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Ymbe

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
A possible exception to this is when your bees have other things to worry about!

We moved a couple of colonies and arrived after dark at the new site. Although a lot of bees spilled out when they were opened up (crawling all over the front of the hive, some flying), they were pretty hot and bothered and didn't worry about us at all, just cooling the colony and getting some fresher air in.

Unless I'm really short on time, I don't think I'll be doing inspections by torchlight though!

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 12:53:26 pm »
I was told to close up the hive b4 you move it.

Would that be bad though?
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:25:27 pm »
I have opened a queen bank in the dark a few times now.  You need to smoke them well and you need to remember they can't fly so they crawl.  They also cling, so you still have bees on you when you go back to the house.

Dark is not a good time to open a hive if you don't have to.  :)

If I had the muscle power to move them in one piece, I'd do it at night, but I don't so I move them a box at a time in the daylight.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jeff L

• House Bee
???????????
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:01:37 am »
I'm confused. Don't all commercial beekeepers move their hives at night? This is when all the bees are in the hives and not foraging.

I'm a newbie, but every time I look into my hive to seee what's happening in there, check for pests, refill my top feeder, etc. I do it after dark. This is when my bees are the most gentle. They never come out and bother me. I stand there with a flashlight and do whatever I'm doing for long periods without any problems at all. I always though the night time was the right time for inspecting and doing minor maintenance to a hive. Hmmmm.

Jeff

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:55 am »
>I'm confused. Don't all commercial beekeepers move their hives at night? This is when all the bees are in the hives and not foraging.

A commercial operation closes the hives up and loads them at night.  They are not OPENING the hives at night.  Nothing wrong with closing and moving at night, it's the optimal time to do it because the bees are all home.  I don't have a skid loader or fork lift.  When I move a hive it's one box at a time, therefore I have to open the hive, therefore, I do it in the daytime.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

jfischer

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:48 am »
As many hobby beekeepers do not have enough time in the
day, and would enjoy beekeeping in the evening, we have
been working to cross bees with fireflies to allow nighttime
beekeeping.

We have had some limited success.  So far, we have created
firefiles that sting the heck out of us!  :)

Offline bee whisper

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:34:32 am »
Hi everyone!
When I received my nuces I waited til just after dark, and put on screened entrance covers. I then very carefully duct taped the cover on.( I am from the south) I then proceded to load them in the back sit of my car.Not sure,but was afraid they might die from carbon monoxide posioning in my trunk. I then drove about 10 miles to my home. luckly I had no problems.Think God I did not get in a accident. Do what you have to but beware, and take proper precautions.

anything