Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bildrite fiberboard sheathing  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Bildrite fiberboard sheathing
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:16:06 pm »
http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/construction-panels/fiberboard/3-4-x-4-x-8-fiberboard-sheathing/p-1977358-c-13329.htm

http://www.bildrite.net/sheathing.htm

Above are links to a product that I read about on the University of Minnesota website.  They use this above their inner covers as a means to absorb moisture and let it out of the hive.  This has me intrigued.  It reminds me quite a bit of the quilts warre and some lang keepers use, but it looks much easier to deal with.  My thought right now is about my new poly nucs.  I have a topic in the equipment forum about poly nucs I am making.  There is this trade off with poly nucs and no upper entrance of a possible venting issue.  Is this something that will get you the best of both worlds?  Put this above the nuc and you poly roof over it.  Moisture becomes less of a problem and you still get the benefit of all the insulation.  One of course could use these on wood hives as they suggest in the u of m handout I was reading.  Thoughts?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Bildrite fiberboard sheathing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:52:21 pm »
if it's what i think it is it breaks pretty easily.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »
This product is no longer affordably available in my area.  I use soundboard as a substitute.  It does break if you are not careful.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
That sound board is nasty stuff to work with.. Makes more fine dust than anything I've ever cut before.