Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question about division board feeder and package bees  (Read 2583 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
question about division board feeder and package bees
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:35 am »
now that my package bees from April have drawn out two deep brood boxes i have been feeding them using the "division board feeders" from mann lake. they take up i think 2 frame spaces. is it recommended to remove the feeder now and replace it with frames now?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: question about division board feeder and package bees
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:48 am »
Depends on how much they have stored and whether there is a flow now.  If there is a flow, you can stop feeding.  If there is no flow but good stores, you can stop feeding.  If there is no flow and no stores, you should keep on feeding
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »
2 deep boxes?   I would stop feeding and check them in the fall to see if they are light or not.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »
The bees will start raising brood for over wintering at the end of next month .i would consider letting them have the space in brood boxes for pollen and brood rearing.If they are strong in numbers,give them a super to store any extra nectar as a fall flow begins.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »
now that my package bees from April have drawn out two deep brood boxes i have been feeding them using the "division board feeders" from mann lake. they take up i think 2 frame spaces. is it recommended to remove the feeder now and replace it with frames now?
we use the same type of feeder with the cap and ladder system-we leave them in the bottom deep
 if the hive goes light before winter we just give it some syrup-its a great time saver to have them in
 the hive -with the plywood cap they dont build comb inside the feeder-and it is possible to move hives without spilling syrup-we use the lager feeder takes two frame space but holds two gallons of syrup-fill it once or twice and theres plenty stores for winter-its a good system--RDY-B

Offline Bleemus

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
In our neck of the woods they would turn into blocks of ice in winter if filled with syrup. Seen some people that fill them with dry sugar but don't have any experience with it myself.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:52:46 am »
In our neck of the woods they would turn into blocks of ice in winter if filled with syrup. Seen some people that fill them with dry sugar but don't have any experience with it myself.

yes but you would have feed in the fall hopefully -also the ladder system isa tube of
 plastic mesh that runs through the ply wood cap-the bees fill the tube and generate heat
and daisy chain the syrup up-this is what i see when temps are below 65 f -at that point the
 hive should have winter prep for long sleep--

check out the feeding tubes- :)  RDY-B

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/page38.html

anything