ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Spring Turkey 2021

<< < (2/3) > >>

AustinB:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on May 11, 2021, 02:39:39 pm ---That is so cool!!! Congrats on your son's first bird!! ... a very precious moment.

I remember my son's first Turkey, and his first deer, and in 2019 his first Elk. Today my son is my "hunting buddy". I enjoy it so much. We haven't connected this year on Toms. Like you, our season ends this weekend. That's the way it goes.  :grin:

Here's his 1st Elk

Good luck to you - I hope you get one before Saturday!

--- End quote ---

Coolbees - thank you! You know, I am looking forward to the day he really becomes an independent hunting buddy with me, the way your son is with you. At the same time I am trying to not rush it, and really enjoy these formative years where he needs me to do most of the work for him. I enjoy it very much. All 3 of my boys have a deep love for hunting. I want them to learn to cultivate their love for this great tradition and learn to respect and preserve our natural resources.
Congratulations on your sons first elk! That is a bucket list hunt for us for sure. I have an uncle who guides in Colorado, so an OTC elk hunt will probably be our first elk adventure. We have big plans to go to AK and hunt Haul Road for carribou as well, but that will be several years down the road.
Good luck to you as well with whats left of spring gobbler, post pics if you connect with a bird!

AustinB:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on May 11, 2021, 07:02:30 pm ---That's awesome!  My family doesn't hunt, but it's something we've started to think about recently.  My father used to hunt when he was young, but life got in the way and he hasn't hunted in years now.  The more I see you guys talking about it, the more it seems like a great thing to do.  My parents used to be big fishermen (uh, fisherman and fisherwoman?) before I was born, and now that all us kids are old enough to be unsupervised in a river, they've gotten us fishing regularly and we're really enjoying it.     

--- End quote ---
It is a great thing, and the more new hunters who get into it, the better! Though I can relate to the life getting in the way part. We love to fish too, more hobbies than time I suppose :)

Ben - thank you. He was so proud of that bird. On the way home after we got it to the truck, he told me "dad, this is just the best day of my life!" Brought tears to my eys, though I didn't tell him that  :wink:

Coolbees - always good to meet anther hunter / fisherman / beekeeper / conservationist etc! :)

jtcmedic:
That is awesome my son and daughter both go out hunting with me. My son is 9 and gets his first time behind the rifle this year for deer and wants turkey real bad. We have changing are family land and will have turkeys soon due to the management we have done

AustinB:

--- Quote from: jtcmedic on May 12, 2021, 03:30:17 pm ---That is awesome my son and daughter both go out hunting with me. My son is 9 and gets his first time behind the rifle this year for deer and wants turkey real bad. We have changing are family land and will have turkeys soon due to the management we have done

--- End quote ---
Good to hear!
That's a nice gobbler track right there  :cool:

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: AustinB on May 12, 2021, 01:11:25 pm ---.... At the same time I am trying to not rush it, and really enjoy these formative years ...
--- End quote ---

Most definitely, the days go by slowly, but the years go by so fast!

I never pushed my kids to hunt. I simply "did my own thing" and answered their questions when asked. When my son was 12 yrs old, as I was pulling out of the driveway heading for 3 weeks in Elk camp, he came running out of the house and said, "Dad, I want to go too". I replied, "No Sir. You didn't finish your hunters safety course". ... when he was 13 he was ready. So I canceled everyone else and spent the season with him. He got his 1st buck & 1st Doe that year. Both whitetails. The look on his face as he held up his Buck for the first time, was priceless ... and I snapped the picture ... ahh memories. ... :grin: :cool:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version