Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Years Queens  (Read 3693 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
New Years Queens
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:22:15 pm »
Quick history: in a late December inspection I found a hive that was queenless and had many QC's on several frames.

I saw myself, as having only 2 options: combine this hive with another to get it thru the remaining "winter", or experiment to see if Queens could be raised here in Dec/Jan. I decided to experiment.

On Dec 23rd I split 1 frame with QC's from this hive, over to a Nuc, with no bees. I then added Nurse Bees and honey/pollen Stores from a much stronger hive hoping to give the newly formed Nuc as good a chance as possible.

I left all bees and remaining QC's in the original hive. My goal: double the [slim] chances of success.

Today - I've just come back inside from inspecting both hives.

The results: The original hive - I saw 1.5 frames of eggs newly, and properly, laid eggs. Since I started the inspection from the outside edge, I did not see the queen, and did not want to proceed further. I closed up the hive.

The Nuc: I found a new and beautiful Queen on the first outside frame. She was quite calm. There were eggs, and brood in all stages on that frame - suggesting the hive has been queenright for more than 10 days. I closed up the hive and did not proceed further.

Final score: 2 for 2 queenright!

Now, I can't imagine that either queen is very well bred due to the limited amount of drones currently, and I expect both [most likely] to need requeening within the year. But - now both hives will have the ability to take advantage of the upcoming flow in the short view - so I'm plus-2 instead of minus-1 on hives. I am both intrigued and happy - thought I'd share this info with all of you.  :smile:

You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Years Queens
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:18 am »
Cool,
Sounds like you must have drones.
Looking forward to see your updates.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »
Awesome Alan. Congratulations!!!   What was your mid day temperatures through this (on average) ? 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 02:58:34 pm »
Most days hovered between 54 & 61 degree (highs) and generally overcast. There was one day during the mating cycle that got to 65 and sunny, as well as some sunny periods on other days. Basically it was very marginal for mating - limited drone availability & inclement weather. Most hives have 50 or less drones right now.

I had resigned myself to accepting that it wasn't going to work. But the girls found a way.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:46:32 pm »
Most days hovered between 54 & 61 degree (highs) and generally overcast. There was one day during the mating cycle that got to 65 and sunny, as well as some sunny periods on other days. Basically it was very marginal for mating - limited drone availability & inclement weather. Most hives have 50 or less drones right now.

I had resigned myself to accepting that it wasn't going to work. But the girls found a way.

Thanks Alan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:48:08 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 06:33:52 pm »
Mr. Cool, you have mastered beekeeping.  You were put to the test, one not answered in the books but you used your knowledge of bees and came out like a true knowledgeable beekeeper, that can make on the spot decisions with the best possible outcome for both you and bees.  Congratulations.

I remember telling you, over a year ago, to raise your own queens and you replied you were not ready.  looks to me like your doing a fine job raising queens for one who was not ready.

Health to your bees.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 09:28:02 pm »
Quick update on this thread. I inspected both of the New Years Queens today.

1 is laying only drones.

The 2nd queen is doing great. Her brood pattern is solid, and wall-to-wall.

My only concern: I'm guessing the 2nd queen is probably poorly mated, simply because there weren't a lot of drones available at the time of her mating flights, the weather wasn't great, and the 1st queen doesn't appear to be mated at all.

But all of that is ok - because she's (the 2nd) already done her job. She saved a large hive for me, and I'll have her daughters within 30 days (hopefully).  :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »
A quick update on the New Years Day Queen.

I've pulled 7 queens/hives from her this year. She's still doing great.  :cool:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 02:51:02 am »
A quick update on the New Years Day Queen.

I've pulled 7 queens/hives from her this year. She's still doing great.  :cool:

That?s great Cool. It?s good the hear that she had worked out so well!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 04:07:38 pm »
The last Epitaph of the Queen hatched on New Years Day has been written ...

She was Beautiful. Her brood nest massive. From day 1 she wanted a huge hive. Her bees were industrious & pleasant to work with. I was able to pull 7 daughters off her between Feb 1st, and March 19th. ... but sadly, she is not with us any more.

The last time I had been in that hive was March 19th.

Yesterday's inspection showed a few remaining brood cells hatching. (The inspection got delayed for a couple hours by some Tom Turkeys that decided to wander by, and jumped into the freezer after an encounter with 2 bows  :grin:)

Based on the brood in its last stages of hatch, I put her "Demise date" around April 1st. Further inspection revealed a hatched emergency QC, but no eggs (yet). When I found the QC, I stopped the inspection. It is too early for the new queen to be laying, and I did not want to cause further disturbance.

I'll check back in 10-12 days. Hopefully the new queen will be mated and laying by then.

Although I rather figured that she couldn't have been well mated, and as such wouldn't remain with us long - she surely did her job in grand style while she lived. She saved my biggest production hive heading into the new year. ... and I will miss her.

Fondly remembered - by that Giant that constantly messed with her hive - may she Rest In Peace.  :cool:

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 03:00:01 pm »
Sorry you lost the queen, however sounds like you have her offspring.  So not such a bad ending.

The turkey jumping into the freezer was a good one.  Yes I got a good laugh, a very good laugh.  With the help of a bow and arrow.  You must be good with a bow, true sportman to the core you are, Cool.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 05:31:44 pm »
Sorry you lost the queen, however sounds like you have her offspring.  So not such a bad ending.

The turkey jumping into the freezer was a good one.  Yes I got a good laugh, a very good laugh.  With the help of a bow and arrow.  You must be good with a bow, true sportman to the core you are, Cool.

Very kind words Mr. Van. Thank you.

I do get great satisfaction from my old "Stick-Slinger".  :grin: :cool:

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:06:41 am »
I wouldn't have believed there was proper weather or drones to produce a queen in Jan in NC. I think our weather is very similar to yours. The lesson I will take from this is that it can be done. Thanks for experimenting and updating the post. Good historical thread.