BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Bushkill 4-way Mating Nuc

<< < (2/8) > >>

BenC:
Aside from the fact that mine are green and blue, those look exactly like what I built.  Oh, I put cleat handles on the sides.  I used 3/16 masonite for the dividers.  Did you dado the dividers into the bottom as well or just into the sides?  I saw the picture in Brushy Mt and went from that with a few mods.  Was able to build four at the same price they want for one, and that was buying materials.  Of course free construction scraps would bring that price down even more but I've got that cut up for other equipment  :-D  I think for the next few I'll try building them to take med frames, should be big enough for mating nucs

randydrivesabus:
i like those rob...you need to make the name Mating Manor your brand.

Robo:

--- Quote from: BenC on July 07, 2008, 06:26:03 pm ---Did you dado the dividers into the bottom as well or just into the sides? 

--- End quote ---

No, the bottom is just a recessed piece of 1/4 luan.  Between the dadoes in the sides, the solidness of the indivdual tops,  and the corrugation in the coropast,  they stay pretty straight.

--- Quote from: radydrivesabus ---i like those rob...you need to make the name Mating Manor your brand.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Randy :-D

broke-t:
Robo,  How will you get feed to these bees if they need feeding?  I like the Idea of staying with standard frames for nucs.  Why did you go with this design instead of individual 2 to 5 frame nucs?

Johnny

Robo:

--- Quote from: broke-t on July 12, 2008, 10:11:33 am ---Robo,  How will you get feed to these bees if they need feeding?
--- End quote ---
I have a few that I cut holes in the inner covers to fit mason jar lids with #8 hardware cloth on the bottom.  Then just put an empty deep on top.   If you do this,  put the feeder on the end of the inner cover, and away from the entrance hole.   But I usually just pour syrup into empty comb if they don't have enough stores.  I  start then with a frame of brood and a frame of honey and usually don't have to feed.

--- Quote --- I like the Idea of staying with standard frames for nucs.  Why did you go with this design instead of individual 2 to 5 frame nucs?

--- End quote ---

Yes, standard frames are nice,  makes it easy to put them together in the spring and easy to put back into hives or nucs in the fall when done.

I do have a few double three frame nucs as well.  The quad 2 framers require less space and less "stuff"  to move around. The logistics just seem to be easier. You just have to watch the 2 framers a little closer and make sure they don't get too strong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version