BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

How many eggs?

(1/3) > >>

beeginer:
Our hive swarmed last week and we were able to put the swarm into a super with plain foundation- no drawn comb.  When we went to look this weekend the swarm is starting to draw comb and there was about a baseball size area that was drawn out enough to hold the eggs, and somebody is laying eggs.  BUT, should there be more than one egg in a cell?  We noticed that most had about 5 eggs in them.

eivindm:
Normally a queen would never put more than 1 egg per cell.  But I have read in other forums on the net, that new queens can lay several eggs the first day or two, and the persons having this problem was advised to wait a few days and check again.  If there was still several eggs in the cells, you have a laying worker.  

Do you know if the swarm queen is the old queen, or if it is an afterswarm with a new one?  If it is the old queen, I think she would never lay more than one in each cell.

eivindm

Mchero:
Are you feeding them 1:1 sugar water?

--- Quote from: beeginer ---Our hive swarmed last week and we were able to put the swarm into a super with plain foundation- no drawn comb.  When we went to look this weekend the swarm is starting to draw comb and there was about a baseball size area that was drawn out enough to hold the eggs, and somebody is laying eggs.  BUT, should there be more than one egg in a cell?  We noticed that most had about 5 eggs in them.
--- End quote ---

beeginer:
We are feeding them.  If the weather cooperates I will go back in tonight and see what is happening.

Mchero:
Keep us updated!

RM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version