Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Traps?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Swarm Traps?
« on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:43 am »
It occured to me that setting out specialty equipment like a swarm trap is an extra and unnecessary step.

Why not set out bait hives, which then become their permanent home when moved to the apiary?

Am I missing something?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Traps?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:59:17 am »
Cost would be one reason.  A plywood box or a retired deep hive body isn't near the investment of a complete ready to use hive. I can cover multiple areas that may or may not be successful without investing in a complete setup. 

Portability would be another reason.  Weight and ease of hanging on a tree. 

I think it also depends on your situation and the style of hives you have and the end result you want.  If you have empty equipment that you can spare to use as a bait hive in a location you can access I think it's a fine idea.

Kevin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19:42 am »
I always have. I set swarm traps to fill deadouts. if I wanted expansion, I bought bees or made splits.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:56:37 am »
Cost would be one reason.  A plywood box or a retired deep hive body isn't near the investment of a complete ready to use hive. I can cover multiple areas that may or may not be successful without investing in a complete setup. 

Portability would be another reason.  Weight and ease of hanging on a tree. 

I think it also depends on your situation and the style of hives you have and the end result you want.  If you have empty equipment that you can spare to use as a bait hive in a location you can access I think it's a fine idea.

Kevin

They are heavy and bulky, for sure.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 12:10:37 pm »
I have always used vacant deeps. 
I hardly ever put my traps in trees, usually put them 3 feet off the ground in places where I formerly had hives or nucs. 
The nice thing about using old equipment for traps is I can give the bees a little extra time to get accustomed to the location before I move them into the apiary.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:43:17 pm »
I have always used vacant deeps. 
I hardly ever put my traps in trees, usually put them 3 feet off the ground in places where I formerly had hives or nucs. 
The nice thing about using old equipment for traps is I can give the bees a little extra time to get accustomed to the location before I move them into the apiary.

Plus, they smell like bees!

Even I can put them 3 feet off the ground.

Looking for ways to compensate for losing my leg in a boating accident.  I need small hives and easy lifts.  Stooping over is a big challenge.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 07:06:38 am »
Michael. Last year I put out swarm traps, and instead, a swarm simply moved into my new, empty main hive that was waiting in my back yard.
I am putting my traps lower, about 6 or 7 feet off the ground. I saw a lure box at Jim Altmiller's house at shoulder height also.
Finally, since I now have used equipment, the scouts are much more interested in my boxes. I have read that some people used old deeps with good success.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
Thanks, Bob.

Just what I needed to hear.

Threw away my two swarm traps this morning, since I now have four bait hives and a nuc box set out.

Two of the hives will receive nucs in May.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 09:30:42 pm »
I have had about 1 swarm per year move into old equipment.  I may have 4 empty hives in the yard, but only one swarm move in.  In contrast, I can hang 6 traps, and get 5 swarms.  I just throw a rope over a branch on a straight trunk tree, and pull the trap up.  A full sized hive would be an awful burden to haul out of the woods.  If done right, you only have to transfer the frames.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything