BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Beeswax Deodorant/Antiperspirant

(1/3) > >>

The15thMember:
I'm working on perfecting a homemade deodorant/antiperspirant recipe right now.  I made a batch a few weeks ago, but I didn't like having the deodorant in a jar instead of a stick; it was too messy.  I also wanted it to be a little less creamy and more powdery.  So I bought some empty deodorant tubes from Amazon, and I added more beeswax and more starch to the recipe.  I tried it out today, and I'm pleased so far, although a 40F day isn't much of a test.  :grin:  Anyone else ever tried making deodorant? 

BeeMaster2:
That looks great. I didn?t even know that you could make it. I?m allergic to most deodorants.
Can you share your recipe.
What is in it?
Jim Altmiller rd

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on March 19, 2023, 09:57:50 am ---That looks great. I didn?t even know that you could make it. I?m allergic to most deodorants.
Can you share your recipe.
What is in it?
Jim Altmiller rd

--- End quote ---
Sure.  Like I said, it may need some more tweaking, since I haven't tested it on a hot summer day yet, but it's pretty warm in the living room this afternoon with the fire, and it's performing well.  And I sweat a TON.  That thing where people say "women don't sweat, they glisten", yeah, I sweat.  :cheesy: 

I adapted the recipe from one I found on the Joybilee Farm blog called "Lemongrass Deodorant for Sensitive Skin".

Ingredients
2 tbsp. shea butter
2 tbsp. coconut oil
12g beeswax
6 tsp. tapioca flour (Some brands have this labeled tapioca starch.  You could also use potato or arrowroot starch/flour according to the original recipe.)
50 drops lemongrass essential oil
Plastic deodorant sticks (For me the recipe made 1 stick, but my sticks aren't labeled with how much they hold, so I'm not sure how much the recipe makes.)

Directions
Melt shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in double boiler or microwave until beeswax is fully melted.  If using a double boiler, remove from heat.  Stir in the flour until it is fully incorporated.  Once the mixture is unified, add the lemongrass essential oil.  Pour into deodorant stick(s) and allow to solidify.  The deodorant should last 12 months if kept sealed, cool, and dry. 

BeeMaster2:
Thanks Reagan.
It?s very difficult to reply right now. Hopefully this will get through.
Jim Altmiller

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on March 19, 2023, 11:12:43 pm ---Thanks Reagan.
It?s very difficult to reply right now. Hopefully this will get through.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
I see you, no worries.  :happy:  It's taking me a couple of tries too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version