BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Lighter equipment

(1/2) > >>

Michael Bush:
https://bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

See the link above for more on this.  I found that ten frame deeps can weigh 90 pounds when full of honey.  I much prefer my eight frame mediums.  How to convert is detailed above.  Keep in mind you can mix eight frame and ten frame boxes with just a 20" long 1x3.  I really think the best first step is to stop buying boxes that you don't want (too heavy).  I recommend eight frame mediums as they are reasonable (40 pounds when full of honey) and most everything is available for them (plastic frames, plastic foundation, frame feeders etc.)

BarryFrantz:
i'm trying some 8 frame colonies, but most of mine are still ten frames, using 2 brood boxes.

How many boxes do you try to maintain as brood boxes?

Do you have any challenges to keep the queen from moving up and laying eggs where you want to be making honey?  Or just use an excluder?  I haven't been using excluders, do have some cases of brood showing up in supers i want for honey, but i just deal with that until it's hatched.

Ben Framed:
Barry,
Welcome to Beemaster!

Phillip

BeeMaster2:
Barry,
Welcome to Beemaster.
I don?t make that decision, the bees decide how many brood boxes they need. Some will only use 2 medium 10 frames,
Some use more. If they don?t have enough room for the queen to lay they will probably end up swarming.
Jim Altmiller

NigelP:
General UK system is a bit different to what you guys and gals describe. Our brood boxes (deeps) hold 11 frames and if full of honey weight around 40-50 lbs  if full of honey.....however we collect our honey in what are called supers placed above a queen excluder (these are around half the depth of the brood boxes) and will weight no more than 30lbs when full. Makes for even more of a less back breaking experience. I use polystyrene supers and brood boxes which lightens the weight even further.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version