BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Bees fanning at night

<< < (3/3)

derekm:
If you read Prof TomSeeley's  new book "The lives of bees" you will see he
's for bottom entrances and FWIW he describes some of my work.

derekm:
There is also a paper on humidity, entrance sizes and insulation
Mitchell, D. (2019). Nectar, Humidity, Honey bees (Apis mellifera) and Varroa in summer: A theoretical thermofluid analysis of the fate of water vapour from honey ripening and its implications on the control of Varroa destructor. Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, 22 May. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2019.0048

clong:

--- Quote from: derekm on July 11, 2019, 11:16:36 am ---There is also a paper on humidity, entrance sizes and insulation
Mitchell, D. (2019). Nectar, Humidity, Honey bees (Apis mellifera) and Varroa in summer: A theoretical thermofluid analysis of the fate of water vapour from honey ripening and its implications on the control of Varroa destructor. Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, 22 May. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2019.0048

--- End quote ---

Mr. Mitchell,

I'm currently reading through Tom Seeley's latest book.  I'm on chapter 9, "Temperature Control" where he discusses your findings.

Recently, I've wondered if well-insulated hives help the bees to manage/tolerate varroa better.  Last winter, the hives that survived were all insulated.  I can't fathom how, but perhaps the bees can. I look forward to reading your latest paper.

Thanks.

derekm:

--- Quote from: clong on August 09, 2019, 11:17:09 am ---
--- Quote from: derekm on July 11, 2019, 11:16:36 am ---There is also a paper on humidity, entrance sizes and insulation

--- End quote ---

Mr. Mitchell,

I'm currently reading through Tom Seeley's latest book.  I'm on chapter 9, "Temperature Control" where he discusses your findings.

Recently, I've wondered if well-insulated hives help the bees to manage/tolerate varroa better.  Last winter, the hives that survived were all insulated.  I can't fathom how, but perhaps the bees can. I look forward to reading your latest paper.

Thanks.

--- End quote ---
On one level the more  energy the bees dont lose the more they have to do things like grooming.  The less energy lost from the hive the higher the humidity and varroa dont breed well above 80% RH at 34C.

FloridaGardener:
Here's what's happening in autumn weather, 35-55F at night and 55-75F daytime.

I've set my hives fairly close together since our temps began to drop. On one side of the smallest colony, I put insulating foam board (as pictured above in the wrapped hive).  This one has a standard bottom entrance, a quilt box on top, and a screened bottom board with a closed hatch allowing just a wisp of air.

Most of the other hives have top entrances in a 3/4" eke, same quiltbox, same SBB "basement."
No outside fanning, no loud humming from the bees.

HOWEVER: The insulation is trapping a good deal of moisture between the outside of the hive and the foam board.  The paint is getting mildew. One hive without the quilt box also keeps a lot of water between the lid and a foam board on top.

Q:  Why is so much water trapped by the foam board? Is this what happens for others, or is it our local humidity and temps? Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version