Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Netbook - 2 weeks later :) update review  (Read 4668 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Netbook - 2 weeks later :) update review
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:36:36 am »
Hi All :)

I promised an update after really using the Samsung N120 NETBOOK PC - and it has been 2 weeks ago today it came, time for a quick but helpful review for anyone thinking of buying one of these inexpensive mini PCs.

First a rating - I hate when websites require you to rate things from 1 to 5 stars, having 1/2 star options would really be helpful - having to choose either a 4 or 5 stars really makes it difficult to properly rate lots of things that just fall short of perfection without literally giving it an 80% with 4 stars out of 5.

I give this netbook a 4.5 out of 5 stars. The drawbacks, if any are small issues that hardly take away from a highest rating. I'l list the few bad things, none of which are specific to the Samsung, but the gendre of the netbooks.

So Beemaster... what is lacking in the netbook world which stops it from being the perfect replacement for a fullsized (17" or bigger notebook) the obvious is processor power/ RAM combo and video card capabilities - that being important if you wish to be a gamer, which netbooks aren't designed for, but in an all perfect world, if it had THAT capability, then it would be a near pefect machine.

But for what it IS made to do, this Samsung N120 is perfect, although I highly recommend waiting for Windows 7 to be installed at factory level as the operating season, XP is great (most people love it over the not to beloved Vista) but I've seen demos and reviews of Win7 with the netbooks and it seems well worth the anticipated release in about 1 to 2 months. Upgrading from XP to Win7 could cost about $140 - or half the cost of the netbooks, that is not a very good decision if you are not in a hurry to buy. Better to pay about $25 extra for the licensing fee added to the price when they come out.

So Rather than sentence forming everything, I'll try listing the trials I have accomplished and any good and bad about how the netbook handled them.

REVIEW TIME

* I drove around trying the autofind hotspots for Internet - on the Navy base where I work, I parked in front of the main barracks/contractor hotel and I had 16 wifi connections found, 6 of which were opened (not secured) and I connected fine to each at the click of a mouse. Same when driving around my neighborhood, local library and signal strengths were all every strong even at many hundreds of feet as I tested the edge of reception.

* I have downloaded and used Open Office, Paint.net, several XVID and DIVX, RAR and peer to peer programs, all of which run flawlessly and I see no difference in use compared to my desktop or larger laptop.

* General downloading speeds and installs are fast and I see handicap in using the smaller netbook for these tasks.

* I am 51, need reading glasses as most all of us do at my age - I use 1.75 power and at a comfortable ergonomic sitting position, I can type without stumbling over the larger keys of the N120 - the Acer sized keyboard (during my in store trials) were tight and I know would be more MISTAKE during typing and tripping over my fingers - although they have the same 10 inch screen, the N120 is a full 1 inch wider, using the keyboard of a 12 inch computer and allowing stereo speakers, one on each side of the screen and a neat little third speaker to the lower front left under the computer front, called a sub-whoofer, but adding volume, not bass.

* The 1.3 megapixel webcam is NOT a butt-kicking resolution cam, but handy for any of todays webcam needs - I've used it several times not, using it on my live Beemaster Cam Feed, even video conferenced with my wife from the bedroom to the living room and it works really well even in low light.

* I walked around my property with the cam on, i streamed really well, no dead spots, kept a 3 signal which I think is great considaring my wireless router is buried under my TV stand and surrounded by all kinds of electronics - if I had it in a window, I know I could easily double the distance.

* Ventrilo voice chat is remarkable, it gets great remarks from all who have listen to me using the builtin mic and I can easily multitask and chat seemlessly. Same went with video and audio at Livestream.com.

* I have been playing lots of board games multiplayer online, I find that using the FULLSCREEN option under VIEW in the browsers OPENS a totally welcomed world, having the full browser window available on a 10 inch screen, just move the mose to the top or bottom of screen to drop down toolbars - but all the surfing is in full glorious total view, making use of every pixel of realstate and honestly, you will never surf otherwise on a netbook once you go fullscreen :)

* I average over 5 hours streaming movies in full brightness with volume all the way up. General surfing without all the video and audio going, I get an honest 6.5 to 7 hours, amazing to behold on any computer really.

* It weights 2.8 pounds with that 6 cell battery, which no matter how you look at it, it can be carried without getting tired, needing nothing really but netbook, although honestly, I'm a wireless mouse guy and really don't care for any trackpads - I remember trying a drag and drop file management thing years a go that turned into a nightmare, give me a mouse anytime.

That leaves you a few options, generic usb mouse with the usb hub sticking out about 1.75 inches and always feeling like you could snap it off... Now they have a usb micro plug that sticks out only about 1/4 inch, you can leave it in place and it won't snag anything... or use a Bluetooth mouse and leave all three usb jacks available for other things. Having 3 usbs and Bluetooth as well as wireless wifi and also ethernet jack really makes this a computer with lots of flexability.

* Lastly, screen brightness is amazing, you control it using simple keystrokes, and you can take it down to a subdued gental on the eyes light in a darkened room and really stretch out battery life, or go full brightness and be amazed at the deep blacks and rich colors.

So I like this a bunch, so does my wife who is the owner (although I'm sure you cannot tell) but I will be buying the same unit when Win7 is preinstalled - mostly I'll be using it for a movie machne to take to work with me, but also since it is so small, I have fallen asleep watching movies in bed or layed back in a chair with it on my lap and it really seems transparent for daily needs. HAving a computer that doesn't need a case filled with cables, disks, cords and other things is a blessing. You honstly feel like you never need to take all that other stuff with you because of the long battery life.

You may want to spend the money for an external DVD unit thqt connects via usb, but generally, most stuff is downloaded via the web these days anyway. I tend to move things via SD Cards, which you can get a whopping 16GIG SD CARD for about $30 today and literally keep your entire backup operating recovery on that.

I like this thing a lot. I've been typing this and the other long post on it and not missing any keys because of the smaller keyboard, I don't think I could say that about the HP, Acer, Asus, Dell and other mini sized netbook designs - they really are cute and they are no larger than the screen, so size wise you will immediately see the difference side by side, but compare this to a 17 inch or even 14 inch unit and it is so scaled perfect that you quickly enjoy the petite size, and especially enjoy the fun of typing on the solid and quiet keyboard setup.

This is the last review, since I pretty much have everything installed I use on my laptop and it all works as well, from the HD Youtubes (nearly all play smooth as any movie, to the AVI movies from the web and the fancast and HULU videos (all the stuff listed in full screen) make it a great all around machine that I wouldn't hesitate to stuff a Christmas stocking with for that young student who needs something that will do all the school and nearly anything they would want it for, and still be able to stuff it in a bookbag and carry from class to class.

Having this to do homework at friends, or when friends are over - really would make homework less work and more fun, and anything that keeps the kids learning is worth what ever it costs, and all these machines come in from $300 to $400 typically - so as a first computer, it is perfect and as a second computer I think it is even better! What more could you ask for!!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Netbook - 2 weeks later :) update review
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:44:48 am »
Thank's for the update. Got one coming should be here wensday   :-D I'll be on you like stink on you know what for help. Can you send me a link on some of the wireless mouse stuff. And what do I need to hook it up to the TV. only can do that when the wife is gone you never want to get between the wife and her TV :evil:
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:25:15 pm »
Irwin:

That is soooo cool to hear - congratulations!!!

I hope I helped with all the reviews? Did you order the Samsung or a different model?

I can't praise it any more than I have already, you know my feelings. It opens up a new world, you and Jenny being able to surf or whatever at the same time will be great right off the bat and no matter what you do with it, I know you will like it.

I'm on it right now, typing to you as we use my laptop to watch the movie "I love you man".

About connecting to the TV - hopefully you have a VGA connection port on your TV, then you can use a VGA cable from the computer to the TV easily, if not - they have VGA to the red, yellow, white audio/video cables if your TV has those. If it is an older TV, you may not have the right connection stuff but can connect through a VCR or DVD player using the VGA or A/V cables.Hopefully there is a way for you to connect to the TV, it is a great experience, especially on a hi-def set.

I know you know, but others may not know that all my surfing for over a years (since we got the HDTV when we moved here last June, has beenfrom my HP Laptop to my HDTV set. What a wonderful way to experience the Internet, and with TV/Movie sites like Fancast and all the major networks, you can watch TV through the net on your schedule, not theirs!

Best of fun with it, we enjoy this one so much, I honestly can't think of $350 worth of anything I have enjoyed more. Doing movie downloads, I keep a copy in this Netbook and then I move the better movies on to my terradrive in case I decide to burn a copy for friends. I have a neat collection of about 300 movies now and growing. I could plug the 1000gig drive right into the netbook, but I tend to move videos using SD memory cards instead.

Talking to Geoff in Ventrilo now. Talk later.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:52:51 pm »
John the wife don't touch the computer but to say hi to you guy's on ventrilo. here's the scoop wife wanted money to give to her daughter for rent I told her that if her daughter would stop drug's she would have the money and every time we help her it just gives her more money for drug's BIG FIGHT. So I told her I won it in a contest to save me a fight about the money I spent on it :'( I know I'm bad but I'm tired of the fighting :-X I got the samsung n120 it will open up a whole new world for me.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:41:56 am »
Irwin:

Your secret is safe with me - I totally understand your view on Jenny's Daughter's situation, when bills fall behind, but the partying continues strong - then it is time to cut cords. Everyone faces THAT moment in life where you either suceed or fail on your own choices.

All you do for the grandkids surely accounts for so much, that is where you are focused and although I can honestly imagine the bickering and yelling, you are doing everything to keep your immediate family and grandkids afloat in this economy, like the rest of us - bailing out someone who wants "MONEY but NOT HELP" is tossing your hard earned money down the toilet.

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn, I just agree that you need to make the choice and I think you have chosen wisely. The $350 might buy a half a month rent that you shouldn't be responcible for to start with, and may never see again, or sadly go for partying - or instead, a well earned gift to yourself, something that you will enjoy and make good use of. I think you made a wise choice. The last thing you need is to be an enabler, and who knows, when next month's rent comes due, if you had chosen to help pay this time, you might be EXPECTED to bail her out again and again in following months.

Can't wait to compare netbooks, glad you chose this N120 - I'm sure you will be happy with it. Hope all the personal issues work out, oh and congratulations on "winning" that PC - what a great prize!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »
Irwin:

I keep missing you in Ventrilo, wondering if the netbook has arroived yet. I'm home from work today, I couldn't even think about the chatroom last night, everytime I tried talking I would breakout in cough and my lungs were burning. I'm feeling much better, although Tracey feels like crap still - it seems to be a three day thing, 4 if you count the itchy throat part, so hopefully tomorrow she'll be better.

Just wanted to cover the basics when you first turn on the machine. It will be looking for Internet connection to register Windows XP - so having the wireless router or ethernet connected will cdome in handy. Note, there is no dialup option, but you are in the 21st century, so you'll be fine.

Do all the updates of XP and any of the updates that Samsung needs to do, there are a few, mostly to improve the sensitivity of the wireless connection (which really does find those hotspots with ease) and take care of anything that needs updating to have the fastest machine you can have.

There will be a point where it asks you to partition your hard drive, for a recovery drive (all point and click stuff) I just suggest you chooses advaced and tell it to keep the "D Drive" to about 20gigs - by default it will SPLIT the C Drive in half, giving you two 80Gig drives, it is easier to keep 140Gigs in C Drive and 20Gigs in D Drive - so that you don't have to remember where you store stuff later when C Drive starts to fill up and you have an 80Gig D Drive starring at you doing nothing. You then by human nature start putting stuff in D Drive and finding things may get a little more complex.

The computer HAS McAfee antivirus suite (NOT INSTALLED) so you can put any virus scan you choose to easily. If you have Comcast, they have the full suite available as a customer, I enstalled that and it works seemlessly and I recommend it - the price is surely right!

After that, it's just installing your favorite programs. Follow the Ventrilo Setup in Voice Chat Forum as a reminder. To be honest, there is little that I don't have installed here on the N120 (using it now) and it all works great.

Let me know when it comes, and we'll tackle any installs or updates that you think you might need a hand with. Just as a movie machine, whether downloaded or streaming, it is awesome - I remember a few years ago when portable DVD players with even smaller screens cost $600 and that is all they did. Look at what you get now for your money, I am still totally amazed and pleased.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 03:39:31 pm »
John should be here to day or tomorrow :-D

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
John it's here and on the charger :-D

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »
Great News Irwin. I sent you a message - I'll be on from around 6:30 to 8pm local time and after 10pm local. Talk then :)

P.S. That Beemaster Guy's Product Reviews must be good - they helped sell this snazzy little Netbook :) Sweeeeet!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:26:55 pm by beemaster »

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:27:25 pm »
HEY JOHN YOU JUST GOT THE FIRST EMAIL FROM THE N120 or should I say post :-D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:04:12 pm by Irwin »