Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reading list  (Read 7625 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Reading list
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2023, 10:02:23 am »
Huber wrote a book (in French) on bees in 1792.  He later wrote another volume and published the two volumes together in 1814.  At a later time someone gathered correspondence of Huber together and published "The undedited letters of Huber" in French.  Later in the 1920's C.P Dadant started publishing these letters translated into English.  Dadant also did a more modern English translation.  Since French was his first language and he was a beekeeping writer and editor of the American Bee Journal he was uniquely qualified to do this.  As far as is known, Huber did not write any other books.
https://bushfarms.com/huber.htm
https://www.xstarpublishing.com/#Huber
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 10:57:20 pm »
I can honestly say that I have yet to read the 'first' bee book. I have found the discussions here at Beemaster very educational, along with some experience I have gained 'by doing' along the way. I consider TheHoneyPump and Van from Arkansas as mentors, both of whom I owe much gratitude and appreciation as well as other members here at Beemaster. I have also learned much from Bob Binnie and other youtube video makers such as David at Barnyard Bees and Jeff Horchoff as well. JP and Schwee are two more which are members here. I could go on and on and thanks to each and every one here who have helped me..

Sincerely,

Phillip

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 04:17:42 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 06:12:43 am »
Also, I suppose I should point out that there is a biography of Huber.  All of these, the two volumes, the letters and the biography are in the currently available Bicentennial edition.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2023, 09:03:42 pm »

" Huber"!!!
Now there is a real possibility that I'm distant related.
My Grandmother was a " Huber" and my uncle  also was " Huber"...and I'm Swiss born.

If you ever search this, I would love to know if Fran?ois Huber is related to Joseph Maria Huber? Different countries, but roughly contemporary.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2023, 12:44:24 am »
Huber wrote a book (in French) on bees in 1792.  He later wrote another volume and published the two volumes together in 1814.  At a later time someone gathered correspondence of Huber together and published "The undedited letters of Huber" in French.  Later in the 1920's C.P Dadant started publishing these letters translated into English.  Dadant also did a more modern English translation.  Since French was his first language and he was a beekeeping writer and editor of the American Bee Journal he was uniquely qualified to do this.  As far as is known, Huber did not write any other books.
https://bushfarms.com/huber.htm
https://www.xstarpublishing.com/#Huber

Looks like some of Huber's books are available as second hand in OZ.
We have two second hand bookshops in our very litle town ( and one new book store) and i will check there first.
Thanks for the hints.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2023, 09:17:25 pm »
I finished Mark Winston's essays today.  I gave the book a 3/5.  Much of the information was rather outdated and/or relevant mostly to commercial operations and not a hobbyist like myself.  But Winston's writing style is always clear and pleasant, and he had some funny and interesting stories to tell.  Also, his critiques and look-behind-the-curtain essays on the downfalls and challenges of the (then) current university and scientific research environment was very intriguing and enlightening.  It was also amusing (and sometimes a little frightening) to see what the 90s thought of newly emerging technologies and their potential applications.  For example, Winston asks his audience "Who wouldn't want a GMO superbee that could constantly secrete antibiotics and rid the world of foulbrood?", in a tone which assumes that obviously everyone would think that was a great idea.  :shocked: 

Next up is Raising Resilient Bees: Heritage Techniques to Mitigate Mites, Preserve Locally Adapted Genetics, and Grow Your Apiary by Eric and Joy McEwen.  This is a newly released book that I bought after I got an e-mail about a talk the authors were doing for the American Apitherapy Society.  When I learned that a ticket to the online talk was $75 (??!!) and the book was $25, I decided to buy the book instead.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2023, 12:27:47 pm »
That's not the 90s attitude. It's a human attitude when given a new toy. There were many other attitudes in the 90s that aren't in your book. The times are largely irrelevant because people haven't changed much in thousands of years. You can bet that at the end of the stone age there were "naturalists" griping about others smelting copper. Some of their concerns would have been valid and others comical or horrific. And you can bet some of the cutting edge Chalcolithic tech boys had some bad ideas about the use of copper.
There are always lots of different opinions of how and when to use new tech. There are always those afraid of anything new, and others rushing forward without fear of the possible dangers. Most people are no more enlightened today , than 15,000+ years ago.

A GMO bee delivering antibiotics is an interesting idea. The problems would be in unintended consequences created through not knowing enough about the subject. My guess is that it might be a viable plan in 50 - 100 years at the current rate of development.
In the mean time, we may have to settle for AI Robo-bees delivering nanobots to treat the diseased bees. :tongue: :cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:40:43 pm by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2023, 02:40:44 pm »
:cheesy:  Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was a phenomenon unique to the 90s, or that Winston's comments were indicative of 100% universal acceptance of GMO at the time, I just thought it was an amusing blast from the past. 

The concern with such a plan in my mind would be that constant application of antibiotics would most likely lead to resistance in foulbrood, not permanently cure it. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 03:13:35 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2023, 12:44:27 pm »
 :cheesy: kinda figured that, but didn't feel like letting it pass  :angry:

After all ....

'Tis the season to be grumpy ... expletive, expletive, expletive,  ex --- ple  --- tive !!! :wink:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2024, 05:38:53 pm »
Check out my Christmas present from me to me this year!  I found one of your old interns selling it for a great price on eBay, Michael.  :cool: 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2024, 06:08:48 am »
Then it will have my signature in it.  I reproduced Huber's signature in it too, but it's not his actual autograph... ;)
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2024, 10:44:39 pm »
It doesn't appear to be signed.  I don't know what the person's name was, eBay doesn't let you see that of course, but she messaged me to tell me that she would be a little late in shipping it.  When I told her not to worry about it because it was just a Christmas present I was buying for myself, she told me how she'd done an internship with you and encouraged me to come to Bee Camp and sleep in a teepee.  :grin:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2024, 06:55:48 am »
When I sign a book that I didn't write I sign it under "transcriber's note" or if there isn't one (e.g. Dee Lusby's book) I sign it under the publisher name on the copyright page.  Huber's New Observations has a transcriber's note by me, a translator's note by C.P. Dadant, and an author's note by Francis Huber.  I think there is also a note by Pierre Huber at the beginning of the second volume.
-------------------

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2024, 07:13:52 am »
I find " Garden Plants" by Lindtner quite an good introduction to flowers for bees.
Lindtner has done a lot of research and  makes us aware of how climate /flowering/bees/honey are so very inter-connected
Worth a look at.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2024, 12:54:07 pm »
When I sign a book that I didn't write I sign it under "transcriber's note" or if there isn't one (e.g. Dee Lusby's book) I sign it under the publisher name on the copyright page.  Huber's New Observations has a transcriber's note by me, a translator's note by C.P. Dadant, and an author's note by Francis Huber.  I think there is also a note by Pierre Huber at the beginning of the second volume.
I checked both places, and this one is definitely not signed.  Maybe she got it before or after she did the internship with you.  *shrug*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2024, 07:54:34 am »
Maybe.  If you come to bee camp or to be an intern I'll sign it for you... :)
-------------------

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2024, 02:17:48 pm »
Reagan,
Maybe you can come to BeeFest and get it signed. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2024, 03:25:52 pm »
Boy, I walked into this one didn't I!  :cheesy:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2024, 07:32:24 am »
Beefest is closer...
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2024, 10:21:07 pm »
I don't usually do this, but I'm 30 pages into this book Raising Resilient Bees, and I'm already recommending it to people.  It's exactly what I was looking for, and I can't get enough of it.  It's extremely well written and describes a philosophy of keeping bees that I've been striving toward but was unsure how to reach or even really articulate, and I haven't even learned anything practical from it yet.  I'm just so impressed at the authors' vision and how it aligns with other biodynamic regenerative farming practices like I've learned about from people like Joel Salatin.  I've spent a good portion of the day quoting chunks of it to my family.  Everyone should buy this now.  It's on sale too, so here's the link.  I'm not necessarily kidding.  You can also get it on Amazon.  :happy:  I'll post a full review once I'm finished with it.   
https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/raising-resilient-bees/