Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Metric plans?  (Read 9819 times)

Offline Wikusm

• New Bee
Metric plans?
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:43:13 pm »
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has or know where i can find langstroth hive plans in metric measurements? I have found a pic here or there on the net, but nothing detailed.

Would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
Re: Metric plans?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
Here is a site with the different sizes of langstroth, http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/lang.html
There's no real standard.
Lance

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
I recommend if you are going to buy your frames, the. You purchase them first and then adjust your boxes to match.
I say this because even frames are not all built the same. Some have thicker top boards than others. You want a 1/4" above the top of the frame and an 1/8" below the frame.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wikusm

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »
Thanks guys for the responses, yeah i bought unassembled frames, the problem im having and also referring to the site Lancej linked, the conversion of the imperial measurements aren't quite accurate to the millimeter, and that was exactly my worry was related to the frames, to be quite honest, im very confused with all these inches! Hehe. How important will it be if say the spacing between frames and/or broodbox and super differs by a few millimeters? Sorry for all the questions im very new to this, busy getting all my things ready for next year.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:49:25 pm »
Best to try it out. The bees will adjust to it. Hey the build hive in some crazy places. If you really want to get metric measurements go to one of the UK bee sites they have plans in metric. Don't we have a few beeks from the Netherlands on here. Finiski or hauns.

John

Offline dott

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:42 pm »
do a google search on converting inches to metric. fill in the blanks and it will convert it for you. had to do it on some of the RC plane plans I'm building

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:11:09 am »
What Jim said, 1/4 in ≈ 6mm, 1/8 ≈ 3mm.

These plans have worked well for me.  You may need to adjust the dimensions per your frames and Jim's numbers.

http://www.beesource.com/files/10frlang.pdf

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 05:30:53 am »
do a google search on converting inches to metric. fill in the blanks and it will convert it for you. had to do it on some of the RC plane plans I'm building

There's a GREAT little downloadable freebie program called 'Convert' which will convert just about anything to anything. It's one of my 'must-have's' - highly recommended. It also runs ok in Linux using Wine.
https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:38:13 am »
1" = 25.4mm

1mm = 1/0.039370"

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
Like Richard says I have always divided inches by .39 or multiply mm by .39
Gets you pretty close.
Neill

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:19:07 pm »
I'm always wary of doing those sort of 1/4" = 6mm type approximations; having operated in both imperial and metric, there's can be a lot of difficulty trying to mix the 2.

FWIW, I heard stories that the USA had a lot of aggravation trying to reverse engineer the German MG42 GPMG, which was designed and manufactured in mm and fractions thereof, when they tried doing it in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64, 1/128th etc of an inch.

(Even when they finally got it to work, it ended up as the M60, so still not what you'd call a win really).

If the dimensions given are in inches, I'd be inclined to just go out and buy an engineers rule, marked in inches.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 01:11:23 am »
The difference between 1/4 inch and 6 millimeters is fourteen thousandths (.014) of an inch or .35 millimeters.  I doubt most folks can cut wood that accurately and fortunately, most bees don?t carry a scale in either unit of measure.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 03:24:57 am »
The difference between 1/4 inch and 6 millimeters is fourteen thousandths (.014) of an inch or .35 millimeters.  I doubt most folks can cut wood that accurately and fortunately, most bees don?t carry a scale in either unit of measure.

Yeah well - that's probably what NASA said too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »
This inches to metric mess has been thorn in my side all my life. Working with industrial machinery I've had to keep two sets of tools depending on where the equipment was built. Canadian machinery can be even nuttier, if parts of the machine are built in the west and other parts are built in the east you can be presented with metric and imperial sizes in the same machines. Wish our benevolent leaders would just pick!
Neill

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:39 am »
1" = 25.4mm

1mm = 1/0.039370"

Come in NASA...

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:08:01 pm »
1" = 25.4mm

1mm = 1/0.039370"

Come in NASA...

Well it's sort of the same, only worse.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 02:46:20 pm »
Sorry,

correction its .039.
.39 is for centimeters :embarassed:
Neill

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:11:16 pm »
I recommend if you are going to buy your frames, the. You purchase them first and then adjust your boxes to match.
I say this because even frames are not all built the same. Some have thicker top boards than others. You want a 1/4" above the top of the frame and an 1/8" below the frame.
Jim

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim...  the "1/8 inch below the frame" presumes a bottom board rail of 3/8 inches, making the bottom "bee space" (frame to floor) 1/2 inch.  I would consider that minimal, and err my fourteen thousandths upward.  But what do I know, my bees left (boo-hoo!).

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 11:56:55 am »
> if parts of the machine are built in the west and other parts are built in the east you can be presented with metric and imperial sizes in the same machines.

That is the situation with all the American cars now.  Some of the bolts are metric and some are standard.  It depends on where the subsystem was built...

Our government and school system blew it back when they made all of us convert back and forth all the time in school.  They should have just handed us metric measuring tools and left it at that.  Instead we learned to hate metric because we were led to believe it meant all these conversions from Imperial to metric and metric to Imperial.  Actually we were mandated to convert to metric in the Metric Conversion Act of 1975.  The people of the US just ignored it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 06:28:23 pm »
Jim

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim...  the "1/8 inch below the frame" presumes a bottom board rail of 3/8 inches, making the bottom "bee space" (frame to floor) 1/2 inch.  I would consider that minimal, and err my fourteen thousandths upward.  But what do I know, my bees left (boo-hoo!).

Jim

Sundog,
Most bottom boards are 3/4".
Bees do not worry about bee space below the hive. Between frames it is important. Open air hives show this pretty well.
In natural hives they build down and leave a larger space at the bottom than bee space.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 12:43:06 am »
Hey Jim

My comment was based on the plan link I provided that shows 3/8 inch rails.  I have never purchased a bottom board. I too made mine with a 3/4 inch bottom rail.  Made my first one with a dado like the plans and the water got in and it failed along those edges first.  After that I stacked layers.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 07:05:27 am »
Good photo Sundog.
When I started making the bottom boards, the inside looked like yours. I then found that the SHB and mites were landing on that edge instead of falling through. I try to make the ledge (which is for attaching the #8 wire) as small as possible. 
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »
...I try to make the ledge (which is for attaching the #8 wire) as small as possible. 

Good point, Jim.