Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Table Saws  (Read 10988 times)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Table Saws
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:23 am »
sundog
Hey, that's pretty cool.  I need one that will last.  I did burn the motor out in 30 days on the second skill that I have just bought.  took it back yesterday.  My last one cut for 4 years and I cut many more boards then the one I just took back.  I have one more coming and if it burns out in the next 90 days I will be trying a differrent brand.  I am pretty hard on things but am hoping that the last one burning out was just a fluke.  I looked in the store at some of the other brands like dewalt and such but on the low end table saws, I get the feeling that they are all using the same 15 amp motor and so I am not sure how to make a gain.  When the motor goes, it is immediately with first a bit of bearing noise and then smoke.  I took my first one apart and the copper was coming loose on the armature and eating the brushes.  No overload reset and no warning.  I can't justify a $1000 dollar saw but am mighty nervous of not getting my moneys worth from the cheep one either.  I am really enjoying playing with the table saw and was almost 50 years old before I got my first one and now feel helpless everytime I am without one.
The table saw is the handiest tool I own and I would like to figure out how to keep it going at least long enough to get my moneys worth. 
Still learning.
gww

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
Last year I had intended to make a table saw from a hand-held circular saw - much in the same way as I built a table router - but then someone offered me a used Einhell TKS250 for 50 Pounds (around $65 ?), so I went for it. And very pleased I am too - the height and tilt adjustments are just so much better than anything I could have cobled together.  Sure - it's something of a toy compared with 'the real thing', but plenty good enough for making bee boxes with.

I've also converted a wet tile cutter into a mini table-saw which I use to make frames with. No height adjustment - but again, good enough for small jobs: nothing thicker than 1/2".

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 02:39:16 am »
LJ,
Looks like a perfect setup.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2015, 04:42:56 pm »
I have tried to find the exact same model as mine to double the table size and have the fence still work. No luck yet.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »
I use a riving knife and anti-kick back an accessory.
Works great.

It always surprises me how many people remove their riving knife.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 10:02:31 pm »
rookie
I have tried to find the exact same model as mine to double the table size and have the fence still work. No luck yet.

I never thought of that.  I have one with a burnt out motor and another that I hope doesn't burn the motor out for awhile.  If this last one makes it past the 90 days that I have to take it back I may put them together and see how I like it. 
cheers
gww

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 02:01:35 am »
I use a riving knife and anti-kick back an accessory.
Works great.

It always surprises me how many people remove their riving knife.
Really!

I thought they were a great idea. Why do they do that?
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 05:58:27 pm »
I bought a Delta 36-725 from lowes this year and I am very pleased with its performance.

I try to stand to the side as much as possible - never directly behind the blade.  I mostly use it to dado my own hive equipment. 

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:42 pm »
I use push sticks and stand to the side as I was taught in Woodwork in my first year at High School 55 years ago !  But what I would like is a Drop Saw with a brake - here in Oz new drop saws have to have a brake on the blade so when the power is released the blade stops within 2 revolutions - it a pain having to wait for the free spinning blade to stop so you can realign the cut a poofteenth of an inch to get it right on the mark.
David L

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:50 am »
Wombat,
I have an old compound miter saw that when I first bought it, it would stop when you released the switch. Sparta flew and it was real loud every time it stopped and it kicked upwards from the torque. One day instead of stopping, it ran backwards and I could not turn it off. I had to pull the plug. I worked on it and got it working again. After a few times of this, I disabled the reverse kick and it has been working for the last decade with no troubles. It just does not stop on a dime.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin