Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Marking Pens  (Read 2678 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Queen Marking Pens
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:59 pm »
I was just wondering what type of paint pens people use. I use the posca water based paint pens. I've been afraid to use mineral spirit based paints simply because I thought the paint could harm the queen. I know the enamel would last longer I'm asking if my fears are accurate.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen Marking Pens
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:46:00 am »
I just bought a queen marking pen from a bee catalog. It is fast drying which is what you want. It is petroleum based which makes it dry fast. I just started marking this year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:59:19 am »
I just bought a One Handed Queen Catcher, item # HD101 at the bee college. It works very well and is safe and easy to use and easy to return the queen to the hive. If you are going to mark your queens, this is the tool to use.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page57.html
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 07:52:47 am »
I just bought a queen marking pen from a bee catalog. It is fast drying which is what you want. It is petroleum based which makes it dry fast. I just started marking this year.
Jim

The ones I use are on the same page as the "one handed catcher. Uni-Posco.
Later,
Ray

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:53:11 pm »
I use the same paint pen from Mann Lake ltd
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline poited

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:56:15 am »
We use liquid paper here, its cheaper and lasts a long time. We change the colours with food dye we put in the bottle each year so we know the age of the queen.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:14:15 am »
We use liquid paper here, its cheaper and lasts a long time. We change the colours with food dye we put in the bottle each year so we know the age of the queen.

I did some googling and found the uni-posco for $2.65 each. I'm going to use the bright orange/yellow for visibility. I don't worry about the age of the queen only her viability. I really am queen finding disabled so I always carry my push in cage and pen. I only mark so she can be easier to find for various manipulations.
Later,
Ray