Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tailgate meeting  (Read 3441 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Tailgate meeting
« on: June 18, 2021, 11:45:04 pm »
A typical spontaneous tailgate graft off one I had been tracking and really liked what she was doing.   
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Tailgate meeting
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 11:14:23 am »
That is a nice brood pattern THP. Did you name her?😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
Tailgate meeting
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 12:56:12 pm »
They are all named Maria Theresa.
I picked her out not so much as for the pattern as for the overall characteristics and behaviours of the whole hive. Consistent prolific progress at advancing the population, but well balanced to what is coming in, very well organized nest requiring nothing of me, calm on comb, little to no smoke needed, foundation drawn perfectly, etc etc.  Everything I want in a bee here. 
This frame below one is from one of her sisters, who is not quite as good, not worth grafting from. 
When choosing which to graft from, it is not about the brood , no matter how nice it is. Every queen can make a nice patch if the hive is healthy.  Not every queen can make a nice hive.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:04:27 pm »
They are all named Maria Theresa.
Why Maria Theresa? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 04:17:50 pm »
Habsburg.   Good queen, lots of kids, took over and ruled everything.  Seems a fitting name for mine.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 06:25:59 pm »
Habsburg.   Good queen, lots of kids, took over and ruled everything.  Seems a fitting name for mine.
I totally agree!  :grin: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.