Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Borage  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
Borage
« on: April 25, 2016, 04:50:40 pm »
I just got 2lbs of borage seed. Before the rain the other night I ran a gang disk over about an acre with no angle on the disks. I just wanted to crack the sod open. Anyone have tips on borage? How to sow etc. Thanks in advance.  :smile:

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
Re: Borage
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:28 am »
No one spoke up so I had to go with what I could find on the net. I sowed 1.6 pounds on about 2 acres. The other .4lbs I sowed in a 10ft X 50ft strip between my hives. I also hand spread 200lbs of crushed volcanic rock on top of the seed and ran the gang disk over both spots. Supposed to rain in the next 24hrs, fingers crossed.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:53:06 am »
Sorry, didnt see the post!!!   I spread a mixed seed with Borage, Sainfoin, Crimson clover, White clover and a smattering of buckwheat over about six acres..   I sprayed the field with roundup in the fall, disked in the spring and then used a spreader to broadcast the seed. It looked fair to midling last year, this will be the second year, so we will see if it looks any better in a few weeks.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:11:45 pm »
I'm watching the both of yall through the cracks. I bought 5 acres across the road, then bought a tractor, (sigh). My goal is to plant as much bee forage as possible.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:36:10 am »
For this year I already have 6 acres of crimson and hop clover in bloom, I took this photo about 10 days ago. The bees are eating it up! Borage is an annual that blooms for 3 months. I wanted about 2 acres of blooms for the in between times. This afternoon I got about 2 inches of rain. Hopefully the germination rate will be high on the seed I've sown. :smile:

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:03 am »
Sorry, didnt see the post!!!   I spread a mixed seed with Borage, Sainfoin, Crimson clover, White clover and a smattering of buckwheat over about six acres..   I sprayed the field with roundup in the fall, disked in the spring and then used a spreader to broadcast the seed. It looked fair to midling last year, this will be the second year, so we will see if it looks any better in a few weeks.

Post a pic when it comes up... lets see how it looks.  :smile:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:04 am »
Is it too late to plant borage around here?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 08:03:15 pm »

Planted out about 5 or 6 seedlings of borage in the garden about 7 years ago Peanut and now have self sown borage growing through out . Self seeds so easily that the cook goes off because it pops up everywhere amongst her roses and bulbs. It does not seem to need a good seed bed as it germinates in cracks along a concrete path even and the bees really go for it.
    Good luck with your plantings.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:00:02 pm by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:49 am »
Hey Peanut,(or anyone) How's the borage coming along? I planted purple tansy, buckwheat, & borage. I planted the borage yesterday. Probably a little late but what the heck?

We bought 5 acres across the road from us, then it took me a while to decide to buy a tractor, then find one, so I'm a little behind. I had this field limed around the Feb mark. My buckwheat looks pretty pale, or light greenish/yellowish. The volunteer buckwheat that came up in the garden looks healthy & vibrant. I don't know how the lime will affect the tansy and borage.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:21 am »
Trees will put out more forage For bees. Then any ground crop.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »
My borage was a bust! A severe drought, a few plants bloomed beside my hives because I watered them. The 2 acres died, not a single plant survived.

I have even bigger problems. Both my creeks down in the bottoms are bone dry. This has not happened in my lifetime. My grandfather said it happened in 1954. My cow pond is spring fed, there is a small trickle of water coming out of the spillway pipe. If that stops I?ll have to haul all the cows to the sale barn? Really bad news, me and hundreds of other farmers will be dumping cows. The prices will fall through the floor.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 02:48:28 pm »
Hate to hear that peanut. Hopefully things will turn around soon. I use to get so ticked off. We'd be in a drought or dry spell but the thunder or the lack of electricity would keep me awake. Not a drop of rain.

anything