Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poisoned cutout quest  (Read 1908 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Poisoned cutout quest
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:41 pm »
My neighbor has been spraying  bees in her hot tub woodwork for a while - looking as far back I see more comb beyond the sprayed/ dead comb.
She sprayed 5 days ago.
Do I wait a bit or do a cutout and leave the bad comb?
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Poisoned cutout quest
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:51:56 pm »
I can't tell you when to do it, but I charge a basic 300 for a cutout and an extra hundred for spray. I have to decontaminate all my equipment afterward, so I charge for that. I put the live bees on all new frames and comb/foundation and bury all the cutout comb.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »
Will moving them to my apiary endanger my bees?
Btw IDDEE, thank you for your constant help. That queenless cutout is inching along
It?s up to me

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:58 pm »
I would walk away.  If they haven't sprayed I would do the cutout, and charge for it.  But they did spray, so I would let it go.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 02:36:47 pm »
I would walk away.  If they haven't sprayed I would do the cutout, and charge for it.  But they did spray, so I would let it go.

Thank you oh bee master - it?s what I exactly thought. It also answers my anxiety question that 2 people answered my ad- I?d rather get the one that hasn?t been sprayed-
I get all excited about these insects and want several but can easily get in over my head.
BTW-
I found 4 colonies by applying a question to my local neighborhood App- called ?Nextdoor? in case any one wants to try it -
It?s up to me

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:32:13 pm »
If you are a new beek, do as Michael said, walk away. Do a few cutouts before tackling a sprayed one. Then after you know what you are wading into, charge accordingly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »
I'd walk away. I have walked away from those.  Not worth it.

If she wants to pay you to clean up the mess she made, take the money and dump the rest in the trash.  otherwise...
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:15:50 am »
I walk away from sprayed hives. I had one a few weeks ago, bees in a column. Son calls me tells me about it and says his dad wanted him to climb up on a ladder and drop moth balls in the hive to move them out because he did not want to pay to get them out. I told him if he does that to not bother calling me back. A week later, he calls my buddy for a removal. My buddy gives him my number, he never called.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:04 pm »
 I think the bees are OK. Throw away the comb. The bee life span is short. All they will do is forage for a few weeks and die of old  age. They didn't get poisoned or they would be dead. No freebies on cutouts unless it's family.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:05 am »
I think I did my last free removal. I?ve learned quite a bit. My apiary is full and it?s hard work.
It?s up to me

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 09:00:39 am »
If you are a new beek, do as Michael said, walk away. Do a few cutouts before tackling a sprayed one. Then after you know what you are wading into, charge accordingly.

If you are a new beek why not learn on a hive you can't hurt?  My father taught me how to use a hand saw cutting 2x4's before he let me near the miter saw cutting molding.  I do not know what the objection is for doing something for free.  We all have our own value system.  A new beek is not going to get 400 bucks from someone who already sprayed the bees.  I can't imagine getting much from anyone that would spray the bees no matter how much experience the beek has.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:55 am »
Ace,
Some of my cutout jobs run as high as $1000.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 10:56:19 am »

If you are a new beek why not learn on a hive you can't hurt?  My father taught me how to use a hand saw cutting 2x4's before he let me near the miter saw cutting molding.  I do not know what the objection is for doing something for free.  We all have our own value system.  A new beek is not going to get 400 bucks from someone who already sprayed the bees.  I can't imagine getting much from anyone that would spray the bees no matter how much experience the beek has.

You are a wise man , inexplicably trained by a wiser man. I lost my dad at 2.
I?ve taken the hard road wherever it lead. I?m not scared. Not wise, just not scared!!
When I started my locksmith business , I did several jobs for free as I knew they could smell the inexperienced person i was. Hell, I even had to pay other companies to come save my ass a few times . Then I started trading a few jobs for google reviews which in and of itself is a value -
Then I/we made 700 k our first full year with me and a verified locksmith partner I recruited(the same guy who saved me quite a few times!) . We invested it all into a 6 employee storefront with 5 service  vans.
Then ..... my breakdown
Now bees. Just me and bees.
Just me / bees and some virtual friends on a message board
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:28:37 am by saltybluegrass »
It?s up to me

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:17 am »
Some would say I lost a lot of my childhood always working with my dad.  I tell them you don't know what you lost.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:03:20 am »
Ace,
Some of my cutout jobs run as high as $1000.
Jim Altmiller

Jim, you are not a new beek.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything