Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Making nucs with swarm cells - Delay in mating ?  (Read 837 times)

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
Making nucs with swarm cells - Delay in mating ?
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »
I made a few nucs before a month from colonies ready to swarm. I gave frames of brood with many queen cells in each nuc. Maybe over 10-15 cells. After a month none of them is mated but all queens present in the nucs and a broodnest shape area is prepared. Some of them are in bad shape, wings not ok, they walk a litle bit strange etc. Is this because of multiple battles between the young queens ? A small swarm that left from a nuc was placed in a small mating hive and mated in a few days. Leaving only 1-2 queen cells will fix this delay ?
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Making nucs with swarm cells - Delay in mating ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:05:49 pm »
If they haven't mated in a month, they will be drone layers if they ever mate.  A little bit if syrup will often stimulate queens to fly when they are not flying...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything