Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advantech nucs  (Read 6351 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Advantech nucs
« on: July 05, 2019, 03:38:21 pm »
Made couple nucs for fall splits

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Advantech nucs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:09 pm »
They look good!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »
Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:50:48 pm »
Looks good, what do you figure it cost for 12 of them?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:08 pm »
About 12-15 dollars. If you just count the wood I?m at 8.00 then the #8 cloth for the bottoms. But can get a lot of bottoms from a roll.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
$8.00. I thought that Advantech was real expensive. Isn?t that the one that is not affected by weather.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 11:17:44 pm »
I pay 35 a sheet so it is 8.75 a nuc. I get 4 from the sheet  Plus nails glue and screen  puts it up . But I enjoy the time . Got to paint them too soo have to find some left over paint or mark down .  Oh didn?t answer the weather question . I had some sitting in water and not swell, I built 4 last year and no problem with them yet. I redid a shed with it and it last.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 12:11:30 am »
Ahah. I got the impression that was the total cost for all. Sounds about right. Thanks.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 08:56:31 am »
Jtmedic. I have not understood this issue. If the advantech is so good, and doesn't even swell while sitting in water, why bother to paint them?

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 03:49:13 pm »
I Am painting to keep the wife happy. Pulse added protection.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:47:13 am »
Jtmedic. I have not understood this issue. If the advantech is so good, and doesn't even swell while sitting in water, why bother to paint them?

What JC said is true. This stuff is suppose to be the trick, but the following is just my my opinion, once you cut the stuff,  leaving the newly cut edges exposed without the outside treatment which is placed on the original sheet and it?s edges from the manufacturer, I am thinking it is a good Idea to paint, at least the edges generously. This may not be necessary but as the old saying, an ounce of prevention.  advantec, diamond, and the newer gorilla glue flooring is made specifically for sub flooring and has an impressive testing performance track record. I noticed the gorilla went up from 25 to 28 a sheet at my local Home Depot.  So far, I have only used advantec but fully intend to try the gorilla 🦍 which is made in my neighboring state of Alabama for comparison. 
I will add,, Good job on the nucs. So far I have only used the advantec as tops and bottoms  for the no warpage advantage and I love the stuff. It is made with a polyurethane glue, use a good mask when cutting.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 12:19:51 pm »
What thickness of this advantech sheet should be used for making your nucs and bait boxes? 3/4 inch? 5/8? And are you using it for your hives also? I assume the gorilla glue does add toxicity to the hive environment.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 12:25:37 pm »
What thickness of this advantech sheet should be used for making your nucs and bait boxes? 3/4 inch? 5/8? And are you using it for your hives also? I assume the gorilla glue does add toxicity to the hive environment.

As far as the gorilla glue is concerned, I had the same question so I looked it up and gorilla is also polyurethane based. So I concluded that All three brands must be similar in that respect. I use 22/33 or 3/4 for my hive tops and bottoms.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:08:38 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »
This is an example of the legacy brand. (Gorilla glue) one minute video. All three brands have basically the same warranty .
https://youtu.be/I43wOJ0RXPw

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 05:25:36 pm »
Here is a link for where I got the dimensions for them. I didn?t make the feeders and made my own screen bottom boards from-RBCofficer
https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45307&d=1546650575
https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45305&d=1546650573
https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45303&d=1546650570
  22/32 almost 3/4

What JC said is true. This stuff is suppose to be the trick, but the following is just my my opinion, once you cut the stuff,  leaving the newly cut edges exposed without the outside treatment which is placed on the original sheet and it?s edges from the manufacturer, I am thinking it is a good Idea to paint, at least the edges generously. This may not be necessary but as the old saying, an ounce of prevention.  advantec, diamond, and the newer gorilla glue flooring is made specifically for sub flooring and has an impressive testing performance track record. I noticed the gorilla went up from 25 to 28 a sheet at my local Home Depot.  So far, I have only used advantec but fully intend to try the gorilla 🦍 which is made in my neighboring state of Alabama for comparison. 
I will add,, Good job on the nucs. So far I have only used the advantec as tops and bottoms  for the no warpage advantage and I love the stuff. It is made with a polyurethane glue, use a good mask when cutting.
I caulk the cut and the nail holes then paint for added protections

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 06:42:20 pm »
Quote JC

I caulk the cut and the nail holes then paint for added protections.

Even better !!

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 03:54:21 pm »
Is this material heavier than plywood?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »
It is 3/4 so a little

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 01:44:31 am »
Is this material heavier than plywood?

I for one, can't tell a noticeable difference in it from the last time that I used plywood. But honestly I did not pick up the plywood which was next to it and compare when I purchased the advantech. I agree with JTC probably a little.
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:50:48 am by Ben Framed »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 10:29:42 pm »
I have and update of this topic. With work slow and time enough to tie up loose ends. I made a little trip to my local Home Depot. Though I have in the past used advantech flooring for my tops and bottoms I decided to go with what Home Depot offers. (LP Legacy Gorilla Glue Technology), as a competitor of Advantech sold by Lowes. The LP Legacy also has a lifetime warranty and is a few dollars cheaper though the price wasn't my concern. I have been wanting to try this stuff for a while just for comparison though I am happy with advantech. I bought enough to make 20 tops and bottoms for full 10 frame hives, plus a few for 5 frame nucs. It is heavy!

Phillip Hall