Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Undertaker bees amazing  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Undertaker bees amazing
« on: November 01, 2020, 01:03:39 pm »
Yesterday was the first time the bees have been out in a while just been too cold for them to fly. The undertakers were dragging the dead out and flying off with them and dropping 20 - 50 feet away from the entrances. On this occasion, I wish I had a video because I could no believe what I was watching. one of the bees was struggling with a dead bee that was just too heavy for it and could not take off and fly with it. Within a few seconds, another bee grabbed the dead bee, and to my surprise, the 2 bees flew off with the same dead bee one on each side of it they dropped it about 15 feet from the entrance. 
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Undertaker bees amazing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:58 pm »
Wow, that's incredible!  It's amazing that an insect would have the ability to problem solve like that. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Undertaker bees amazing
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 02:53:02 pm »
I have posted this before but it is still interesting, I have observed this several times, a Piliated Woodpecker eating the dead bees several feet in front and around a hive.