Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Was in my Hive???  (Read 1424 times)

Offline GeorgiaBeeKeeper

• New Bee
What Was in my Hive???
« on: May 30, 2020, 04:10:32 pm »
I was doing hive maintenance today (I have my first 2 hives I started in April as packages)
I recently expanded both hives to 2 hive bodies each.

Today, I saw at the bottom of one hive that on the bottom board to one side was chewed up thin brown paper (kind of like that cheap thin brown paper towel paper....it wasn't all chewed up but quite a bit of it looked completely tiny chewed (not big animal chewed...tiny animal chewed).  It was wadded up and kind of like 6" long x 2.4" wide and a little bit poofied up.

There was no animal poop around it or anything.  I pulled it out of the hive with the hive tool.

What was that?

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: What Was in my Hive???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 04:15:11 pm »
Some foundations come with paper in between them when they ship to keep them from sticking to each other. Did you forget one?
The bees could have chewed it to get it off the foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GeorgiaBeeKeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »
I'm a dummy - I think you're right!  I just added the additional hive body and there was probably a piece of paper stuck in between that I didn't notice.

Dangit!!!!
LOL thanks!

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:59 pm »
I really can?t imagine it being stuck like that, but that was my first thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 06:00:53 pm »
Paper;  I did a standard newspaper combine the other day with langstrof deep hive bodies.  So after two days, I went back to remove what is left of the newspaper....  Nothing, all gone except for the outside that was hanging over the edge.  Those bees removed every shred of paper in 2 days.  I have seen newspaper combine after two days that had small opening made by the bees with 95 percent of the newspaper intact whereas other times there is no trace of the newspaper remaining.  Bees do a good job of keeping me guessing.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:30:06 pm »
Paper;  I did a standard newspaper combine the other day with langstrof deep hive bodies.  So after two days, I went back to remove what is left of the newspaper....  Nothing, all gone except for the outside that was hanging over the edge.  Those bees removed every shred of paper in 2 days.  I have seen newspaper combine after two days that had small opening made by the bees with 95 percent of the newspaper intact whereas other times there is no trace of the newspaper remaining.  Bees do a good job of keeping me guessing.

I did a couple combines also last year Mr Van. I did notice some shreds outside the hive entrance but not enough to explain what happened to the rest. Do they fly away with it? Eat it or some other answer? Thanks.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:20 am »
Mr Bumble Bee picked the wrong hive today.

[attachment=0]
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 12:13:05 am »
I did a couple combines also last year Mr Van. I did notice some shreds outside the hive entrance but not enough to explain what happened to the rest. Do they fly away with it? Eat it or some other answer? Thanks.
I believe the workers will carry trash far away from the hive if they are able, i.e. if the item they are carrying isn't too heavy. 

Mr Bumble Bee picked the wrong hive today.

[attachment=0]
:cry:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 12:15:13 am »
Member I added two more pictures while you were posting. I looked down a wondered "what is that"? Looking closely I could see it was a bumble bee, so I took pictures. And thanks for your answer.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:41 am »
Georgia,
Welcome to Beemaster.
I have screen bottom boards with dry oil trays under most oF my hives. When I do a combine, after a couple of days, the oil tray will be full of this  very fine paper duff. They shred it so fine that it falls through the number 8 wire cloth. It is usually one inch deep.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything