Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Great day!  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Great day!
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:01:19 pm »

Buddy mine is cutting some walnuts on a farm. One of the biggest trees had these girls in it. Big tree way over 30?. They still wanted to cut if so I came out to try my first attempt at a cutout. They dropped the tree just as I pulled up. My buddy wanted to make another cut and check on how hollow it was. I told him to put on my suit he said he be fine. Haha. They lit him up. He wanted that jacket then. He made his cut and then I took over. It was a YUGE hive. Ran about 8 ft. I was amazed they hadn?t swarmed yet and no signs of it either. None of it was damaged in the fall. Took my time and found the Queen. Frames up 7 frames. There was a lot more left but lot was cross combed bad. When I left still lot bees out but hopefully they will all work there way in. Supposed to be around 39-40 tonight so they should all go in I hope. If they can all fit. They will definitely need another box tomorrow when I get them home. I really enjoyed that. Going to crush and strain the honey. And give the landowner some.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: Great day!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:19:29 pm »
Never seen anything like it - WOW!! You?ve probably got so much adrenaline going you won?t be able to sleep!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:51:17 pm »
Nock, good luck, and excellent photos.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 12:10:16 am »
Jackpot!!!
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:55:44 am »
You did an excellent job Nock. Like a seasoned cutout champion! Congratulations! I have done several but never from a tree. (YET) lol

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 12:21:41 pm »
Thanks everyone. I felt like JP. Haha

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 12:28:46 pm »
Went and picked them up this morning. I missed a couple sections of small comb. There was a few still covering it but nothing I could really do. Couple hand fulls. Got them to house and set them up a second box. They were still little grumpy but understandable. I?ll leave them be and check next weekend.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 12:34:28 pm »
I did one last year.  They are a lot of work, but they are fun.  Good job finding the queen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:51:57 pm »
Went and picked them up this morning. I missed a couple sections of small comb. There was a few still covering it but nothing I could really do. Couple hand fulls. Got them to house and set them up a second box. They were still little grumpy but understandable. I?ll leave them be and check next weekend.

Don't forget to treat for mites at the proper time.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything