Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spring Swarms  (Read 934 times)

Offline SkoroBees

• New Bee
Spring Swarms
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:49:25 pm »
Hello again from Mid Tennessee... In the past 2 weeks, I have seen 9 swarms, right here... at my hives. When I began, I had 5 good hives. Certainly not enough to produce 9 swarms!! After swarm #9, I thought... Someone nearby has to have hives. I certainly did not see this last spring! So I did a Google map search around my area. I found my property and it shows the hives. Cool.. let's look around. I think I found the source of the swarms.. I will take a drive around and see if they indeed are hives. The last swarm caught me off guard.. I was tending my hives and I heard a bunch of swarms so I know what they sound like without looking... I hear this swarm. I turned and there it was... HUGE swarm... It came right at me.. I just stood there. It was exhilarating!! They went past me, through my trees, a big cedar and Silver Maple. I followed them. I lost sight of the swarm but I could hear them! I spotted them again.. They crossed the road and into another grove of trees in another neighborhood.. I jumped in my truck and tried to find them. I talked with several people and gave them my number... Nada... Then we had a huge rain the next day... All day.. So if they did not get to their home, I doubt they made it through the rain.. Whoa.. that was quite a day!

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Spring Swarms
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:49:13 pm »
Sounds like you are in a great spot. Good luck finding them. Got any traps out?

Offline SkoroBees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:36:16 am »
No, I don't have traps out. I had them out last year. Birds found them and started nest in them... HAH! I have enough hives for now.. LOL. I gave 2 swarms to a beek in need. My bee yard is over doubled from what it was 2 weeks ago.. So fall honey should be great!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »
Hello again from Mid Tennessee...

Great story telling Skoro, I felt like I was right there when you described the swarm coming at you!

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 04:59:13 pm »
Skorobees,

Actually it is possible they all came form yours.  I wouldn't have said so until I literally watched it happen. 

I watched each of these swarms come out of their boxes.

4 hives produced 11 swarms, 7 of which are now in hives.

One day a sat and watched one hive barely clear the area around their original box before a 2nd swarm came out of the same box.  No real time between the two.

It has been a stunning year.

Barry

Offline SkoroBees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »
That is incredible.. I guess it's true.. The bees will do what they want ... when they want!