Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early Drones?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Early Drones?
« on: December 20, 2019, 01:13:13 pm »
We know that generally the solstice is when the days begin becoming longer, Dec 21,  and as the days are getting longer our bees start ramping up brood in order to be prepared for the spring blooms, splits etc, as pointed out by iddie on the recent topic: ''The Bee's spring''.  We also know that bees will sometimes get ahead of the solstice as described By Coolbees and his 20 capped beautiful queen cells described in the recent topic: ''Mite Count zero''. Being the fact that bees can, will, and do raise bees in the winter months, along with queens as well, what is the situation on drones? It has been established by MR Van, Mr Bush, Oldbeavo, and myself that drones do sometimes over winter, this was discussed on the recent topic:  ''Drones This Late'' I have drones even now. And the temperature has been as low 18f (-8c) in my area. Oldbeavo also commented that in Australia where he resides, the bee overwintering drones was a good sign that the hive is wintering perfectly. His winters get down to 10c which equals about 50f here. As we all know drones are a very important part of any honey bee operation. My question, when do the bees generally begin raising drones? In Coolbees circumstance, one of his hives are already has beban raising queens in area of Northern California, or are attempting to raise queens this side of the solstice. Do the bees depend of the overwintering drones to mate the new virgins, or do the bees set up drone cells accordingly and before the QC in order to insure the drones are mature enough to mate when the virgins are ready?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Early Drones?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:26:46 pm »
Phillip, just to clarify, my H2 hive had aboit a 3" dia area of capped drone cells observed during its inspection.

It was my understanding that: since the queen fly's much further than the drones to mate, the queen and the beek are both depending on drone production from hives outside the reach of drones from the queens home Apiary. So if this is true, whether or not my hives are producing drones becomes irrelevant. The question is: are drones being produced in the area my queen(s) would be looking to mate?

Based on my Apiary observations, the answer is - yes, there are probably a few drones around, but not likely enough to ensure proper mating.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Early Drones?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:31:39 pm »
Phillip, just to clarify, my H2 hive had aboit a 3" dia area of capped drone cells observed during its inspection.

It was my understanding that: since the queen fly's much further than the drones to mate, the queen and the beek are both depending on drone production from hives outside the reach of drones from the queens home Apiary. So if this is true, whether or not my hives are producing drones becomes irrelevant. The question is: are drones being produced in the area my queen(s) would be looking to mate?

Based on my Apiary observations, the answer is - yes, there are probably a few drones around, but not likely enough to ensure proper mating.

That is my reasoning also Alan, if your bees are making queens and drones in your area, then most likely so are others. in your area. Thus setting up the possibility of mating. Is this a possibility? Or this an impossibility?
Thanks, Phillip
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:29:52 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.