Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you get that queen? Cut Out/Removal Question  (Read 4254 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
How do you get that queen? Cut Out/Removal Question
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:11 pm »
I've done several cut outs over the last couple of years but always have a hard time getting that queen.  I'd really like to get the benefit of the experience of others regarding her bahavior during an extraction.  I've seen JP's videos  and I'm in awe at how easy he makes it look. I have learned so very much just from watching him work in these.  In a recent You Tube of his, he left a piece of comb hanging to lure the queen back from the corner of the extraction cavity.  I'd love to understand the science behind this and any other pointers from those who have done these.  And any suggestions and ideas - however simple they may seem - I'd be very grateful for.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:20:52 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Re: How do you get that queen? Cut Out/Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:36:55 pm »
I think the difference between JP and others is he takes his time and looks very closely for the queen. I've slowed down a bit and looked for her closely and I'm finding them now. One thing I've noticed is when you use allot of smoke, she runs to the deepest cavity she can find. I take out the brood comb first looking for eggs and if you go slow enough, you'll most likely spot her. Have your queen clip ready at all times!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:29:58 pm by BlevinsBees »
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:28 pm »
You need one pair of Schawee brand "Eagle Eye" glasses to aid in queen spotting. They cost just a tad more than Oakley's or Costa's but well worth it  8-)

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »
What are eagle eye glasses?
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
"Eagle Eye" glasses are one step up from "Hawk Eye" glasses :-D
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:09:51 pm »
There is a couple on the other coast of Fl that does "Smoke Outs"  instead of cut outs.  They have videos of constantly smoking colonies for upwards of two hours and the bees just walking out.  Eventually the queen comes out and is captured.
They don't use screens or Nucs or bait, just smoke and a bee vac.   It works for them.
Hope this helps
Joe

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:26:38 pm »
2sox,by leaving a section of comb the bees will come back and cover it.remember they have void  spaces they will go to get away from you.by leaving a section of comb they will come back to it and the queen will too.you just have to give it time and it works.another thing is to go slow and look for her all the time.we get her most of the time but sometimes we vac her up. by the way, a good pair of eagle eye glasses will help too :-D       ......schawee
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:06:30 pm by schawee »
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »
Thanks, Schawee.  This is very useful information and advice - and makes a lot of sense.  I've already got five removals lined up and I'm going to try this on my first one.  With bees flying all over the place, I'm afraid I've given in to the temptation of working faster than I ought to.  I've got to make working slower part of my modus operandi.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »
2sox,if you go on youtube and look at my video called( cutout in burbon estates)is a good example of one.      ....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:38:50 pm »
Schawee,

I just watched that video.  Couldn't have been clearer.  :)  Patience is the key. Nice job. Thanks.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 01:42:59 am »
My percentages have gone up by slowing down as well. I vacuum from the outside in by working the outside of the cavity first on the theory that the queen will be in the center of the brood comb. But before I vac anywhere I try to eyeball the area to be worked real good. Kind of a stop look look again vacuum a small area and look some more. As I get to the combs I eyeball every thing that I can see then clean one side of the comb, usually all I can get access to. I might let it fill back up a few times watching closely all the while before cutting it loose. If at all possible when I cut it loose I try to let it roll over onto my outstreched hand and arm so that the side away from me (the side not vacuumed) is now exposed. I've found a few queens immediately on this side of the comb. Repeat this look, vacuum, look again as I slowly remove the comb a piece at a time. I have also taken to fitting each comb to the frame as it is cut to slow the process down and let the bees settle some. I find that I have fewer runners if I give them a few minutes between sessions of comb removal not to mention less pissy bees.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:05 am »
This is a great post and i have also watched Schawee and JP on youtube, they sure do make it look easy. I have a big cutout lined up, when you do them can you start early in the morning, vac the work force as they come out, or not a good think to do? It would take alot of bee's out early and would help finding the Queen.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:44:41 pm »
Joe, I suppose you were talking about Peggy and I when you mentioned "smoke outs". We've been lucky in recent history with using smoke but that was new (swarmed in that day) colonies. There's very little chance of smoking out an established colony.

If you check more of our videos (you'll find a hundred or so) on youtube you'll find that the vast majority are cut outs.

youtube.com/MrBeedude

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything