Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: did a removal today  (Read 3015 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
did a removal today
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:47:28 pm »
well first thing is this was the meanest dang hive I have removed in 6 years, huge hive but man was they mean and in a tight spot over a bay window, I got hit about 30 times through the bee jacket and gloves was covered with stingers, as soon as I would move towards them they would pour out but not more than 50 at a time, for a while there I thought they might be AHB but they would only follow about 50 feet, I can tell my immunity is not up to par because got a little redness going and then when I hive them not one sting through the jacket, just one got in my suit and popped me behind the ear, well this should build my immunity up some, large number of bee's and filled about 5 deep frames full of capped brood and a few frame full of larva and eggs, never seen the queen but found out after I loaded bee catch boxes in my truck (from my vac) that one box got covered in bee's from the outside, so guest she was in that one, hive filled 2 deeps and a shallow with bee's, might be a good hive but we will see, if they stay mean the next time I inspect I will find that hag and pinch her a good one, and put one of my cells in it, they should be ready in a week or so...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Re: did a removal today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:59:27 pm »
yep, i can relate to mean hives. I'm still healing from saturday.

Where's the pics?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »
Now Ted, you remember that thing you light and puff? You need a teach them mean ones a lesson as to who is boss my man!

When they mean like that I smoke the holy crap outta 'em, even if it don't work, at least you feel you gave it to 'em some!

Its been a while since I had to suit up fully on a removal but I always keep the full suit in the truck and duct tape for the ankles.

Good job stickin' it out, any pics?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:45:20 pm »
nope sorry no pics, 3 camera's in the house and cant find one but of course they belong to my 2 girls and wife, I didnt even bring a smoker with me, have done removals for years not wanting to use a smoker because of fire chances to a home, these hags here was straight and to the point they didn't want anything near their hive, they might make a good hive of bee's but we will see in about a week, just never seen one pore out like these did every time my hand of the vac hose got close, they would just dump out but was a nice hive to get, they was a nice over wintered hive to get though..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:03 pm »
You certainly deserve some kind of trophy for doing an entire cut out without the use of a smoker, you da man!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:27:10 pm »
Your reward will ba a good hive of bees.

I'm loke JP, I will smoke them to death just to get even.

Thats a good idea about being worried about fire in someone house.

I had a stand of those little black germans and if you came with in 30 to 40 feet of the hive they were popping you.
Finally had to just let them die out, could not even work them, they were brutal.

Kind of like the saying at the bottom, huh?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:12 am »
Look on the bright side, at least its not your 2 wifes and girl.   :-D

nope sorry no pics, 3 camera's in the house and cant find one but of course they belong to my 2 girls and wife
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:37 am »
no Pic :rant:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:20 am »
You certainly deserve some kind of trophy for doing an entire cut out without the use of a smoker, you da man!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:07 pm »
I would be a little worried about fire too. I try using anything other than a smoker after this happened. I had a friend in Texas (who I hope never finds this and reads this!  :-X ) who had several hives and did removals....will he was the big bad man if there ever was one; cute too just in case he reads this  :-D. Not afraid of those bees at all! He was always pestering me about going out on cut outs, etc. as I just got the 'gentle and safe swarms' back then. So, one day I went with him and I suited up to the teeth! This is how I remember it going:

He walked over to the colony in the side of a porch where the entrance was about 'eye level'. Grabbed the smoker and fired it up, puffed a few into the entrance of the colony. Took the saws all and went to work! No suit, just a veil and he had been fully warned about the bees chasing kids and dogs over half of the county before they gave up.

You could hear those bees winding up over the sounds of that saws all! I sware it! He just had the opening cut out and soon dropped the saws all...running back wards...grabbed the smoker and it was still lit and hot....threw it right past the bees coming out of the colony better than anyone ever on the Dallas Cowboys team  ;) and that smoker went right through the large bay window and into the living room of the house where it popped open and the rest is history!

The good thing was that the home owner had insurance and did not sue him.
They also wanted to remodel the house, so it was in their favor! Whew!

This happened some years ago, so I sure that he would have gotten sued now. My regret is that I never had a video of it! He stopped dowing cut outs for some time after that.

Brenda