BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Melting Wax

(1/3) > >>

downzzie:
Hello just wondering what other peoples best ways of melting wax out of the frames now that its winter best time to do it  :rolleyes:

max2:
I have been melting wax yesterday and today.

I use a wax melter from Quality Beekeeping now but in the past I have simply used a solar melter. Works OK.

In my experience, the wax from old frames is not worth worrying about - there is little actual wax and it is dark.

I use a knife to cut along the frames and wires and discard this muck. I then imerse the frames in the wax melter and basically steam clean the frames. They do come out quite clean. After this treatment I soak a bunch of frames in a bleach bath for a couple of hours. I wash and air-dry the frames and they are good to go.

To my surprise, often the SS wire is still in good enough shape to use the whole frames again - may need some crinping. After the steam and bleach treatment the frames should not carry any AFB - just in case.

Bamboo:

--- Quote from: max2 on June 19, 2018, 03:34:44 am --- After the steam and bleach treatment the frames should not carry any AFB - just in case.

--- End quote ---

Not sure that is the recommended treatment for AFB?

BeeMaster2:
I use a solar wax melter. Just put the wax in it, filter material in the drain opening and some water in the catchment tray and walk away. The sun does the rest.
If you like dark yellow wax, take it out and use it. If you like a lighter colored wax, put the wax back in and it will be a lighter color. Do this several times and you get white wax.
When my wife started making candles she liked the white wax. Now she likes the yellow wax.
Jim

max2:
"Not sure that is the recommended treatment for AFB?"

These are not frames with AFB - just to be on the safe side. I understand that steam treatment and bleach does kill AFB spores but I don't have the time to search for the info at the moment. Still dealing with wax.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version