Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: last chance for romance in my area  (Read 1275 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
last chance for romance in my area
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:50 am »
sumac is going to be blooming any day now.  when i was in east central alabama this was the last big one and it wasn't quite as big as tulip poplar.  i've got buckwheat and sunflowers planted this year and hope to get maintenance flows in late summer and early fall from them but as far as i know sumac kind of winds up the bigger flows for the year.  cold and rain cost me most of the crimson clover and from what i can see all of the poplar this year.  white clover did ok, and privet was good but short.  sumac is my favorite local honey and there seems to be plenty around so hopefully i'll be able to harvest some.  anyway, local guys if you're in remote areas with a lot of uncut power line right of way or recently clear cut land there's a good chance you'll be going into a pretty good flow in the next week.  good luck.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: last chance for romance in my area
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:29:55 am »
Rain got all my Laurel cherry this year, some of the hedge, sumac is blooming here.  I have planted some popcorn trees but they will be a while before they are big enough for flowering.  I had a pretty good crimson clover crop, got 25 acreas right beside my house, also with hairy Fetch and white clover.    The swarm I caught 2 weeks ago that was to big to fit in a shallow, it had drawn comb,so had added a medium to it, today added another meduim super.  Haven't slung any honey yet.   May you get a good flow on the sumac farmer.

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: last chance for romance in my area
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:44:55 am »
it's blooming where i live but my bees are 60 miles away and it's not in out there yet.  hopefully all this stuff coming out of the gulf won't mess this up for me.  i'm going to plant some tulip poplars and popcorn trees next spring.  i found an acre of land for sale about halfway between my house and my farm i'm thinking about buying to set up a large yard.  it's close to a big creek bottom of poplars and several pastures of clover.  it'd be a nice spot for a second yard. 

anything