MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

Registering your weapons

(1/7) > >>

beemaster:
Here in NJ, all weapons must be registered; handguns, rifles, shotguns. We do it because it is how the system works, it falls back to leaving the gun-shops to follow the rule of the law.

If you have a private purchase, it must be done with transfer papers - this one has the fudge-factor where many people who have a rifle they've had for 20 years will be sold for cash, no paperwork filed - not legal, but done. This is people imposing their own "Grandfathered Clauses".

But it is rare that people here will sell a handgun without the seller filing the proper paperwork and only then if the buyer has a valid 90 day permit to purchase a handgun - most people just go to the local gun shop and let them handle the paperwork, as if the seller were from out of state and the gun shop gets its $35 transfer fee and the government gets its $15 for background check.

So given the law, most of weapons here are registered, or should be - that old shotgun your dad left you as an inheritance by law needs you to file for a Firearms ID Card and transfer it into your name, although there likely is no record what so ever of it on file. If you end up using it to defend you home, you sure better have the paperwork or you will likely be arrested for illegal possession.

Do you have mandatory registration now?? Or if it became law how responsive would you be to it? Not trying to pick out those who would buck the system, but being a law abiding gun owner - assumes you are law abiding, even if the rules change and you don't like them.

I imagine most members here would say/agree that how many guns and what type they have is NONE of the Government's business - the 2ND Amendment is to rally against tyranny and showing the government your "hand" is slaughter - they just come with more guns then you and they win.

I do everything as required, likely a product of our State's anti-gun hurdles - mind you, I'm not talking the police, they are very much for personal gun ownership in our state with carry laws (poll results I have seen somewhere) it would make their job easier, but their job is to enforce the law, not enforce their beliefs.

hjon71:
Interesting that NJ can so blatantly disregard the 2nd amendment and the people allow it.
 Rights are natural, not granted by the state. It is the job of the state to protect our rights, so any law that infringes therein is invalid and should be ignored.

Kathyp:
it's interesting the way the courts have addressed this.  they have not allowed states, or DC, to outlaw gun ownership, but they have left it to the states to decide how to handle gun ownership. 

my state does not require registration, but the fact that there is a background check with purchase means that my ownership is registered if I buy from a firearms dealer.  we have no registration or check for private sales....yet....but our neighbor to the north just passed a law similar to NJ for private purchase.  i find that unfortunate.

registration is a required precursor to confiscation.   guess that's my answer   :angel:

Michael Bush:
>Do you have mandatory registration now??

No.

>Or if it became law how responsive would you be to it?

I discovered after I moved to Omaha and purchased a gun that it was required.  I registered it.  I moved out of Omaha...

10framer:
i doubt we'll see any state down here in dixie requiring registration any time soon.  every gun i own was bought from a dealer and there was a federal background check involved..... some how i think big brother could dig up a file listing every gun i've ever bought from a dealer if they needed to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version