ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Fruit and/or Nut Trees

(1/6) > >>

The15thMember:
My sister Haley is planning on having an orchard once we get some more land, and she was curious to know what sorts of fruit or nut trees people are growing, particularly what varieties people are liking.

BeeMaster2:
Bee sure the ground is high and dry. We put a dozen different fruit trees on the left side of the house. The problem is it floods in heavy rain. That sets them back and has killed several of them.
Jim Altmiller

Kathyp:
It very much depends on where you live.  Whatever you plant, see if you can get those native or popularly grown in your area.

Here we grow tons of filberts, apples, pears, pear apples, figs, plums, and cherries.  I also put in a bay tree a couple of years ago and it's doing well. 

We are high enough that apricots, and peaches don't seem to do so well. 

Our neighbor has a huge walnut tree.

And while researching make sure that you don't plant things that will hurt your other critters.  Black walnut would be on to watch out for.

My next adventure is to plant maples to tap.  Don't know if it will work well here, but Oregon has been experimenting with it, so it seems to work for some.

iddee:
They are very local. 40 miles south of here peaches are a #1 crop. Here they do a very little.
60 miles north of here, apples are grown by the many tons. Here they are mediocre.
Pecans do well and black walnuts do well here, as do persimmons. Plums do OK. Grapes and scuppernongs do well.
Figs are grown here, but are not real popular.
Thornless blackberries are rising in popularity. Blueberries are a favorite for homes, but not commercially. Strawberries are great.

Terri Yaki:
Sugar maples produce sap during the spring when nights are below freezing and days are above. If you have lengthy times of those conditions, you should do OK. I am not sure on it but I have head that maple trees have to be pretty old before you can get anything out of them. I like a good Bartlett Pear fresh off the tree mmm mmm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version