Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ugh so over hand cranking  (Read 2468 times)

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
Ugh so over hand cranking
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:06:57 pm »
Just finished extracting a little over 40 gallons with my maxant 3100h.  Had the wife, son and neighbor boy cranking away.  When I ordered the extractor it came with an insert that said something along the lines of when you get tired of hand cranking we sell a motor kit.  Well my crew is over it. How right they(maxant) were.  I'm going to order one soon.  I really need to tweak my whole process.  I see an uncapper in my future as well.  The old bread knife and fork just aren't cutting (no pun intended) it anymore.  We had a great knotweed flow this fall.   Wingstem did well also.  Goldenrod is just now kicking in and I see some bees working boneset.  10 years ago hand cranking didn't seem like a big deal.  Of course I wasn't grandpa 10 years ago either lol.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Re: Ugh so over hand cranking
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »
The most I've ever extracted at one time was 25 gallons using an old Kelly hand cranked reversible made way back in the 60's. I feel your pain, 40 gallons would be a serious work out. So far I've kept my yard at a reasonable number of hives but if it grows next year like it did this year I'll be in the same boat you are in. 

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »
The first year that I extracted, I went to a beeks house to use his extractor. It was a motorized 4 frame unit. We only extracted 20 frames that time but I knew right then that I needed a larger motor used unit. My family bought me a 9/18 Mann Lake motorized unit. The following year we extracted 100 gallons of honey. I would not want to do that with a hand crank.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:25:28 pm »
Sounds Luke a lot of Work, atm i only got a motorized 4 frame extractor, Bad to do the last 150kg of this year with that. Well i can tell you how happy i was that i was able to use the extractor of a friend for all other flows before. But now finally after all flows are over i got the message from my dealer that will finnaly deliver my new 42 extractor, what a relieve.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »
42 radial? So You have no forest honey?
I got a self-turning thing. Dont know what its called. 6 frames Jumbo resp. 12 frames shallows (mediums would fit, I guess).
Its a CFM if anybody knows this.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
I got a self-turning thing. Dont know what its called. 6 frames Jumbo resp. 12 frames shallows (mediums would fit, I guess).
Just every couple years, about every 10 years in northern germany. Well and if i have, it can be converted to a 6 frame self turner

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 10:05:21 pm »
Just every couple years, about every 10 years in northern germany. Well and if i have, it can be converted to a 6 frame self turner
yeah, that 42 radial will fit my drum, too.
What brand?
You use the styrofoam-hives common in northern Germany?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 06:15:49 am »
Lyson, yes i do, but starting to switch over to the bee box 8 Frame Langstroth hive.

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:33 pm »
Lyson I hear is quite ok.

8 frame hive? Where from?

I use 9 frames, as 4 hives fit on a european standard palett. Geller has 9 frame hives, too. Dadant and Zander.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 07:50:43 pm »
BeeBox from Finnland.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:30:30 am »
BeeBox from Finnland.

looks good.
but... no upper entrance despite it`s common use in climates as TheHoneyPump described from northwestern Canada. How about that?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 03:12:40 am »
BeeBox from Finnland.

looks good.
but... no upper entrance despite it`s common use in climates as TheHoneyPump described from northwestern Canada. How about that?
Never needed an upper entrance, and if so, you could usw the upper entrance of the anti swarm system

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 03:39:38 am »
No, not in northern Germany. But Finnish and Sibirian climate should match the climate in northern America, where the upper entrance is commonly used in winter. Is it used in Finnland, do You know?

Offline robirot

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:47:31 am »
No, i don't but i know in australia it is common in worden hives and has proben to not bee needed. Even the turn around lid (to give top ventilation for moving) on the 10 frame BeeBox has proben to not be needed, just move them with open entrance.

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:12 am »
No screened bottom?

I move them with open entrance, too. It saves closing it which in some cases is hardly possible because of all the bees. And opening it, which usually lets many angry and nervous bees loose.
With open entrance, everything is calm and relaxed. Best thing. Only the nightly expeditions are somewhat strenous...and the need to have them set up and standing before they wanna take off...
Just came back from one...