Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing used frames  (Read 810 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
Storing used frames
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:34:56 am »
My bees haven't been doing well. I've had hives abscond on me, and I have beehives who are quite low on sugar, they have supers that are entirely empty and here in Australia, we are going into winter (though we have warm winters here). I believe I'm going to have to feed my bees sugar for them to survive, but then I'm concerned if I do so, perhaps at a later time I might end up extracting cane sugar syrup at a later year without realising. I figure because of this, I'll have to remove the empty supers from the beehives, before feeding them sugar.

But then I've got the problem, what do I do with the frames? I've had a number of wax moth infestations when I've stored supers. They must have eggs left on the frames and then my whole shed becomes infested with them creating quite a problem for me.

Do I just need to buy myself a freezer that's big enough where I can freeze my frames? I'm a bit sure with how to properly store and manage my inventory for this upcoming winter.

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
Re: Storing used frames
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:40:38 am »
Can you obtain Paramoth from a bee store?  That's what I use now for storing my supers over winter.  I have no wax moth issues.  I have used Xentari in the past.  But it is more work once you get to 20+ supers.
7a - 1650ft