Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in Feeding Box  (Read 860 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Bees in Feeding Box
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:42:50 pm »
I just installed my new package for season 2 of beekeeping and I have a medium box on top with a quart mason jar as a feeder flipped over on top of the hole in the inner cover. I went out to check how much food was left today and lifted the cover and there was a ton of bees in the box and they all started humming and flying everywhere. I managed to put the cover back on before I got bombarded. I went back out this evening and they seemed to be fine
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees in Feeding Box
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:06:14 am »
You NEVER want to give the bees open space. They will build wild comb in it every time. Cover enough of the hole to where the jar top closes off access to the upper box.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:23:42 am »
I had the same question Xerox - thanks for asking

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
I wanted to have a hole open so they could have ventilation but I'll close it up now. Thanks for the input
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »
Xerox - I feed the bees the exact way you describe. I've never had bees "move" into the empty upper box, even thought they can get up there. Iddee's right, it "can" happen. I'd keep an eye on them, but I like having a small open space next to the jar, for the odd bee that gets stuck up there when I'm refilling. If they started to move en-mass up there, then I'd close it off, and/or give them more room below.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln