Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long can swarm queen be away from the hive before bees don't recognize her?  (Read 985 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
So I just had a swarm, and because the forage is MUCH better here right now, than at the out-yard, I left her in a nuc here. 
Naturally most bees in the swarm went back to the old hive I guess even though they were young bees they smelled it. 

I seem to remember bees recognize they're queenless in 3 hours.  But have they forgotten her pheromones in 3 days?

Do I have to do a newspaper combine if I want more bees in her new gig? Can't seem to find that answer from Google. ;-)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
So I just had a swarm, and because the forage is MUCH better here right now, than at the out-yard, I left her in a nuc here. 
Naturally most bees in the swarm went back to the old hive I guess even though they were young bees they smelled it. 

I seem to remember bees recognize they're queenless in 3 hours.  But have they forgotten her pheromones in 3 days?

Do I have to do a newspaper combine if I want more bees in her new gig? Can't seem to find that answer from Google. ;-)

FG I do not clearly understand what it is you are seeking to express or ask.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:42:27 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
FG, you can just pull a frame with bees and drop it in the nuc to strengthen it or shake just bees in it. They won't hurt her.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
How long can swarm queen be away from the hive before bees don't recognize her?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:04:00 pm »
Put her back in without concerns in day.  After an overnight, to be safe would be to use a pushin cage for fastest reintroduction.  Put the cage over her on her frame in the nuc. Then insert the whole nuc into the hive. Take the cage off 2 days later.
If it is a really nice day and you have the time. You can do a direct nuc insert, no cage. Open the hive, remove frames to make space where the nuc will go.  Leave it open to air/sun for a half hour. Then go insert the nuc and close up. This works very well and is my usual method when working through the rest of the beeyard.  .. so long as there are not robbing conditions.
The newspaper combine is also nearly fool proof.
Do not stick her in a mini cage with candy. That puts a queen in full lay into an uncomfortable situation. Likely have eggs laid in the cage until confinement arrests her ovaries. It will also take time for her to get going again.
Whatever method is used, ensure to go through the receiving hive thoroughly removing all cups and cells started.  Also, with a swarm queen; there are usually other queens, yes multiple, left in the hive.  Find and remove them.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:18:59 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything