Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Filling 55 gal drums for shipping  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Filling 55 gal drums for shipping
« on: September 06, 2021, 12:51:27 pm »
Getting ready to ship some drums for the first time I have some questions.
When filling 55gal drums in good condition with honey do you use plastic liners?
When filling them do you fill them right to the top or a few inches below?
Thanks, Brian

Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Filling 55 gal drums for shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 02:13:02 pm »
Honey is sold by net weight and shipped by gross weight. Typical drum is approx 650lbs gross / 625 net. These numbers vary a bit by drum tare and the actual drums being used. Fill to weight, not to level, as moisture content changes the drum level by a fair amount.
Regardless of weight target Leave about 2 1/2 inch from top so recessed lid rim fits in and there is some room for expansion/contract with temperature changes.
Clean drums in good condition do not use liners. Liners add handling issues and wastage on the receivers end. So do not use them unless specifically requested and liner use clearly understood and accepted between seller/buyer.
Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Filling 55 gal drums for shipping
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 02:47:46 pm »
Honey is sold by net weight and shipped by gross weight. Typical drum is approx 650lbs gross / 625 net. These numbers vary a bit by drum tare and the actual drums being used. Fill to weight, not to level, as moisture content changes the drum level by a fair amount.
Regardless of weight target Leave about 2 1/2 inch from top so recessed lid rim fits in and there is some room for expansion/contract with temperature changes.
Clean drums in good condition do not use liners. Liners add handling issues and wastage on the receivers end. So do not use them unless specifically requested and liner use clearly understood and accepted between seller/buyer.
Hope that helps!

HP,  great information and explanation, as usual. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

anything