Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with 2 queen hive?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
What to do with 2 queen hive?
« on: September 03, 2021, 08:40:07 pm »
I have my 1st 2 queen hive.  I noticed it had capped supercedure  cells a few weeks ago.  I left it alone then checked today.  The original queen looked to be doing a decent job.  Today the best looked good, but original queen present with decent pattern and another queen running around.

Should I just leave it alone or could I place a double screen board and separate them?  I really don?t mind 1 taking over, but if I can capitalize on another hive that?d be great.
@burleybeeyard

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: What to do with 2 queen hive?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 09:05:48 pm »
My guess would be that this late in the season it would be better to let the supersedure take place.  It may be the bees know something you don't and don't feel confident in the old queen going into winter.  I would be worried about a virgin queen getting well mated at this time of year.  It also occasionally happens that the two queens will co-exist for some time.  If it was me, I'd let them go to see how things settle out naturally, as there are a lot of variables to how the hive will be strongest entering the winter.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 09:24:00 pm »
That?s what I thought may be the best.  Thanks for insight.
@burleybeeyard

Online .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 12:36:00 am »
15th is probably right. But?
If you let them go, you have a chance of one hive making it. If you split them, you have a chance of two hives making it, unless they aren?t strong enough to split. How long do you think you have left in your area of them laying brood. That would be my reference if looking for an answer. But I?m a gambler. It?s an inconsequential thing to me. Bees are easy to make if you have a enough for stock. It?s a fun thing for me, not my lively hood.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 12:44:44 am »
Burley is this from the hive that you recently posted the picture of the full frame of brood?  I know 15 is right but for the experimentation an sheer joy of the adventure of it, I might make a clean nuc split just to see what happens without using the double screen divider board since you are sure both queens are laying.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 05:18:12 am »
No that hive.  I would definitely split if it were one of those.
@burleybeeyard

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 06:13:13 am »
We have removed the old queen with one frame of brood and bees into a 3 frame nuc because she looked so good.
The new queen went on to lay and the hive hardly missed a beat.
The old queen was a disaster, stayed alive, layed a bit but the nuc went no-where. Ended up squishing her.
Again let the bees be bees.
We have found a hive will tolerate 2 queens till the younger one is laying, then the old one is eliminated. I suppose the bees are covering their bases in case the young doesn't get back from mating or isn't mated properly.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 08:36:54 am »
Thanks for the enlightening hands on experience OldBeavo. Good post!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 10:34:05 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything