Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: VERY angry bees  (Read 3400 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
VERY angry bees
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 12:08:52 pm »
TRUISMS
- productive is genetic. Some colonies do make much more honey than others and do so with fewer bees in the box.
- hygiene is genetic. Some colonies keep a cleaner nest and as a result are generally much healthier
- appearance of mite tolerance/resistance traits are genetic in terms of prolific grooming (mite biters) and brood hygiene.
- defensive/aggressive behaviour is genetic. The colony can be calm on the combs, gentle, not a care; or highly defensive, runny drippy, flighty, etc.
- swarming tendency and intensity is genetic. A colony may be busting at the seams yet happy with it, another may multicast regardless of conditions.
Any and all combinations of above (and more) are possible in a diverse gene pool.

FOOLS MYTHS: (the deceptions)
- mean bees make more honey
- mean bees are cleaner hives
- mean bees are mite killers
Having had many colonies, and as a queen breeder the only credence given to these statements is when of all the possible combinations of genetic traits shake out some have been contaminated by the aggressive gene.
The intensity of each gene trait is like rolling a dice. What mix of traits manifests in the colony is like playing yahtzee, with each dice in the set being a different trait.  Selection is much like that.  Roll the set, keep what you want, remove and roll again the dice you dont want. Always have to count all the dice in the set.  The challenge is to roll high numbers on some dice and low numbers of others .. if that analogy makes sense.
When you hit a mean hive, cull that dice set, go back to the source(s) to find where it came from so can take it out. Then roll again.  What that means is remove the undesirable genetic source (the queen, her drones, and the source of her drone-mates).  Move forward by putting in a better set (different queen from different lineage)

IMHO
Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:56:20 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: VERY angry bees
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 03:12:39 pm »
one old timer told me that he   believes mean colonies make more honey.

FOOLS MYTHS: (the deceptions)
- mean bees make more honey

I have heard the same thing mentioned as you Paus about angrys bee producing more honey than the docile bee. I searched for a study on this subject. Though such a study may or may not have been conducted I could find none. The old man you speak of may or may not have been correct? I do not know and it may or may not be a myth. Maybe HP has more. Anyone know of such a study?

I did find this on Wikipedia concerning the Africanized honey bee. I think everyone will agree they qualify as a VERY angry bee.
Impact on apiculture
"In areas of suitable temperate climate, the survival traits of Africanized honey bee colonies help them outperform European honey bee colonies. They also return later and basically work under conditions that often keep European honey bees hive-bound. This is the reason why they have gained a well-deserved reputation as superior honey producers, and those beekeepers who have learned to adapt their management techniques now seem to prefer them to their European counterparts. Studies show that in areas of Florida that contain Africanized honey bees, the honey production is higher than in areas in which they do not live.[46] It is also becoming apparent that Africanized honey bees have another advantage over European honey bees in that they seem to show a higher resistance to several health issues, including parasites such as Varroa destructor, some fungal diseases like chalkbrood and even the mysterious colony collapse disorder which is currently plaguing beekeepers. So despite all its negative factors, it is possible that the Africanized honey bee might actually end up being a boon to apiculture."

If this is what it takes to achieve those qualities count me out on volunteering to switch to that type bee! lol
Whether we are or are not including Africanized Bees on this topic, (which we certainly have here in certain locations here in America which displays very angry traits), may be another subject? Even still until more evidence is produced of the common honey bee strains we are accustomed too and hives gone angry, we really don't know for sure do we? Either way I'm not sure FOOLS MYTHS is a correct term. MYTH; maybe?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:32:31 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 08:17:43 pm »
I have come from a dairy farming background, where we measure every thing with good degrees of accuracy. We can select sires with certain traits and due to artificial insemination use the desired bull over a lot of the herd.
We do not have the same breeding accuracy in the bee industry and so gains are difficult to quantify and also difficult to breed for in the amateur and commercial world.

A lecturer once said that there is as much variation with in a breed as there is between breeds.
Selection for a trait is diluted by adding other traits to your selection, you can select solely for honey production and will make gains but when you add docility you eliminate some high honey producers. add any other  trait and the dilution of the original objective continues.

Maybe honey production is a catch-all trait, disease resistance, good laying queen to maintain bee population, bees that are good foragers and are not prolific swarmer's.

On the "angry bees produce more honey" i will take a bit less honey for a peaceful day in the apiary.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 08:22:18 pm »
Well said Oldbeavo
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything